macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Question

5 posters

Go down

Silly Question Empty Silly Question

Post  TobyAnscombe Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm going to do my first smoke tomorrow (weather permitting) for a friend of mine. I have been reading the Low and Slow book by Gary Wiviott and will start with chicken (its cheaper if I get it wrong!)..

Not sure if my wood chips and metal box will have arrived so is there any point in just smoking with charcoal (Aussie Heat Beads) with a water pan? Do I need to add the woodchips or will I survive without?

Assuming that my missing parcel does arrive, what does one do with the wood chips? Chuck them into the metal box dry? soak them first? Is there a really simple "heres how to do your first smoke" post somewhere or should I take photos and start one?

Many thanks all! will let you know regardless...

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Silly Question Empty Re: Silly Question

Post  Mack Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Toby

No such thing as a silly question.

You can use the smoker without wood chips, you'll be roasting and will still benefit from the low and slow, by using the water pan... this will result in a really succulent bird.

Wood chips, when they arrive, can be simply thrown on the charcoal (every 30 mins or so), I don't bother soaking them.

There should be basic instructions on how to do a chicken in the manual that came with the unit.
Otherwise, take a look at this one http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/Chicken.html

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lozart Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I soak my chips and then put them in a little parcel made of good old fashioned foil! Just poke some holes in for the smoke to get out.
Lozart
Lozart
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-27

http://www.lozart.net

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardD Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I've given up on chips. Instead, I use offcuts from my recent woodworking efforts. I just make sure that everything I make is from oak or cherry Smile

RichardD
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  irish_admiral Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Just make sure the wood you're using hasn't been treated, else that's going into your food.

There's not much point soaking chunks as the water doesn't really penetrate that far, and all it does is cool the coals down. Chips, maybe!

Contact your local firewood or landscaping company... I got lucky and found a plentiful supply of oak, cherry and apple.... £5 for a huge bag of it.

irish_admiral
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardD Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:13 am

Treated wood? No thanks. Not good to smoke with, and not good to make stuff out of either (unless all you are doing is a fence, or maybe a shed). I mostly use oak (damned hard on the tools, though) and cherry (which takes a nice finish). Chippings and sawdust are collected at source during operations like sawing, planing and routing, and larger bits come from the ends of planks and pieces that are left over but not big enough to use for anything else (usually 4" by 4" by 1/2" sort of sizes).

RichardD
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  irish_admiral Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Suppose it depends what you're making as to whether it's treated or not!

Good to hear though... the local folks near me are a nice bunch. They sell firewood, but can identify oak, beech, alder, apple and cherry fairly easily for my smoking...

irish_admiral
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down