macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoke box question

3 posters

Go down

Smoke box question Empty Smoke box question

Post  gandalf Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Is there a maximum amount you should fill a smoke box up? I'm using mine for the first time and just filled it up but it doesn't seem to be smoking very much.....
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Smoke box question Empty Re: Smoke box question

Post  Dr_KY Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 pm

What are you cooking in? The amount I use in my basket depends on how long of a session I need .
Just a rough guess but I would say about 1/2 to 3/4way. If it's not giving out much smoke then it more likley NOT the amount of fuel but more the amount and location of your smoke wood. Is the box cast or stainless not that it matters much but you need to give it time to heat up and cause the wood to start breaking down.

Remember do not be fooled by the smoke alone though. Large amounts of white smoke is not a good thing. You want the blue stuff like in my avatar.

Do you have any pictures and what sort of smoke wood are you using?
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  gandalf Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm using a proq smoke box (stainless steel) in a frontier. While I had it open to foil the ribs I checked inside the smoke box and all the chips (apple and hicory) have turned to carbon so I guess it is working. However, there was no visible smoke from the top vent of the smoker (white, blue or any other colour)
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  JD McGee Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:07 am

gandalf wrote:I'm using a proq smoke box (stainless steel) in a frontier. While I had it open to foil the ribs I checked inside the smoke box and all the chips (apple and hicory) have turned to carbon so I guess it is working. However, there was no visible smoke from the top vent of the smoker (white, blue or any other colour)

Did you soak them in water before you put them on? It helps keep them from burning up too quickly. You should see a thin blue smoke coming from your exhaust vent if you are smoking properly. I usually wait about 5 minutes after adding the chunks for the smoke to thin out a bit. I use dry fist sized chunks in my WSM's. Good Luck...
JD McGee
JD McGee
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down