macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold smoking Salt, Peppercorns Garlic and Flour....What else

2 posters

Go down

Cold smoking Salt, Peppercorns Garlic and Flour....What else Empty Cold smoking Salt, Peppercorns Garlic and Flour....What else

Post  bigh Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Happy new season everyone,

New to smoking and did some hot smoking last year after i bought a starter kit from fhttp://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/ Roy is really very helpful and has some great ideas (smoking paprika was a winner) and products and excellent service. We had a problem with one of the stacker's and he replaced it without any hassle.

Anyway

I have just been playing with the proQ cold smoker and smoking the above with some pretty impressive results, with all except the Garlic. Anyone have any ideas on what i could do to improve the results. It is long and slow but I think 5 days constant smoke may be enough but it wasn't anywhere near.

I have to recommend smoked sea salt and pepper corns it transforms everything from a steak to cheese on toast with just a couple of grinds.

One thing that i think i have found but not read anywhere is that most cold smoked foods need to be left for a while or they taste horrid, but left they mature to being subtle and addictive.

So anyone got anything else they have cold smoked that is good or interesting please let me know?

Have a great season

BIG H

bigh
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Cold smoking Salt, Peppercorns Garlic and Flour....What else Empty Re: Cold smoking Salt, Peppercorns Garlic and Flour....What else

Post  steve white Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Salmon, Bacon, Duck, cheese, Walnuts, Sugar, Chillies, Eggs, Jerky, Sausages, Snails and even Spam. I too have never had any success with Garlic, even after 48hrs of smoking !!!! Leaving things for a day or two after smoking can make a huge difference. When I do cheese I smoke as much as possible, leave in cling film in the fridge for two days then grate and freeze. Even in the freezer the taste develops/changes over a few months.

steve white
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Back to top Go down