macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first SMOKE!!! Excel 20 - RIBS :>)

3 posters

Go down

My first SMOKE!!!  Excel 20 - RIBS :>) Empty My first SMOKE!!! Excel 20 - RIBS :>)

Post  UncleFesterESQ Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 am

Well, it was an interesting day. Started out at about 12:45pm and had her humming at 220 for almost 2 hours when I started losing heat. Had to keep all the vents wide open at that point and kept it between 200 and 215. I got the job done, 3-2-1 method, but ended up going through a whole bag of Kingsford Comp charcoal and started in on a second bag, with reloads. Also used a combo of apple wood and pecan for smoke.

Regardless, it's the end that counts and I got her there!!

My first SMOKE!!!  Excel 20 - RIBS :>) IMG_1092

I'm hoping this was just the normal "break-in" for a new smoker. I want to do a pork butt, but don't want to have to worry about re-loads every 2 to 3 hours. I'm thinking about switching to sand and trying that out instead. I used hot water today.

Anyways, it seems everyone has some problems to start, and I'm no exception. Very Happy I do love the taste of the Q and will keep at it!!

UncleFesterESQ
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

My first SMOKE!!!  Excel 20 - RIBS :>) Empty Re: My first SMOKE!!! Excel 20 - RIBS :>)

Post  Treegje Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Man those look good, excellent job Very Happy
Treegje
Treegje
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-11-02

http://geert-staes.be/

Back to top Go down

My first SMOKE!!!  Excel 20 - RIBS :>) Empty Re: My first SMOKE!!! Excel 20 - RIBS :>)

Post  steveheyes Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am

Nice looking ribs.

I too had trouble with temp drop offs at first but now I can get 6-8 hours of consistent heat without a reload. I use the clay saucer method and I make sure I build my charcoal basket well.

Good luck with the pork butt!!!
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down