macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pizza On The Excel 20?

2 posters

Go down

Pizza On The Excel 20? Empty Pizza On The Excel 20?

Post  Yankee Smoker Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am

I'm planning on making pizza on my Excel 20. I realize that this has been done before but my question is where do I place the pizza stone? I have a round 15" stone and I'm not sure if I should place it on a grill rack directly above the hot coals or should I add a single stacker and skip the use of the water bowl?

Here's a link to the pizza stone. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/15_EXTRA_LARGE_PIZZA_BAKING_STONE_WITH_HANDLES_p/bge-15bs.htm The stone I have is identical to this one and even has the exact same description written about it. But I bought it locally for only $10 instead of the $25 that this place is asking for it. Cool

I am concerned that if I put the grill rack and stone directly above the hot coals the stone will get too hot. I'm not experienced enough to know how much charcoal is too much for this application but I am an experienced (Ex) professional chef with a bit of experience cooking pizza and everything else in a blazing hot wood-fired oven. But obviously this is different. I do have an infrared thermometer that I could use to monitor the temp of the stone but I'd rather not have to fiddle with adding a stacker mid-cook if it should get too hot.

If I use a stacker without the water bowl and really get the charcoal basket blazing I'm not sure if I will be able to get the stone hot enough. I currently cook pizza in my clay tile lined convection oven at about 500 F. I have the pre-2010 Excel 20 with the painted, (Versus porcelain coated) stacker rings. I'm wondering if with the charcoal basket fully blazing and no water bowl in place, is there a danger of burning/blistering the paint of the stacker? I have the feeling that I won't be able to get anywhere near 500F air temperature with a stacker in place.

I make my own dough and usually stretch it thin and slide the pizza directly onto the very hot pre-heated clay tiles. The clay tiles I use in my oven are about twice as thick as the new 15" round pizza stone. I'm not sure what the heat limit for the new pizza stone is, or if it will even matter. I want the air temperature above and around the pizza to be at least 400F and maybe up to 500F. That wish may be optimistic though. Thanks from any advice for you BBQ pizza experts out there.

Bruce

Yankee Smoker
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Pizza On The Excel 20? Empty Re: Pizza On The Excel 20?

Post  Dr_KY Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm

My thoughts..

No waterpan
one stacker
stone on top grate.

Get the cooker and the stone up to pizza cooking temp then slide the pizza on.

Job done.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Smoker Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Dr_KY wrote:My thoughts..

No waterpan
one stacker
stone on top grate.

Get the cooker and the stone up to pizza cooking temp then slide the pizza on.

Job done.

Thanks. Should I anticipate any issues with overheating the paint on the stacker?

Bruce

Yankee Smoker
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:45 pm

That I couldn't answer. My paint is fine but I wouldn't want to tell anyone to go for it based on my cooker if you know what I mean.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down