macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie with paint blister/rust query...

5 posters

Go down

Newbie with paint blister/rust query... Empty Newbie with paint blister/rust query...

Post  ooglewoogle Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi all. Have recently acquired an Excel 20 and have been enjoying getting to grips with it, thanks in part to all the great advice on this forum! Biggest step forward was getting the Maverick for my 3rd and latest smoke....great little unit.

At the weekend there on my third smoke, I noticed that on the top lip inside the lid of my Excel that the paint had blistered. I was just wondering how much of a potential problem this will be...is it common? It's just a little concerning that the old tin worms might take hold...when I want this to last a longgg time! Obv. unit has been dry stored and treated with kid gloves as it's the new toy.

Pics
Newbie with paint blister/rust query... 10s6ivr
Newbie with paint blister/rust query... 20p6gk3

ooglewoogle
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-25

Back to top Go down

Newbie with paint blister/rust query... Empty Re: Newbie with paint blister/rust query...

Post  steveheyes Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi, glad you're enjoying your E20.

Regarding that paint blister, I've not seen mine blister like that anywhere, nor has my team-mates'. I guess it could have had a bang in transit that's affected the paint. I'm sure Ian will comment as soon as he sees the thread.

I've lost paint on the inside of my lid and around the tops of the stackers, I think it's the combination of the heat and steam from the water pan that eats it, however mine seems to go through stages where I've got a brown coating of smoke in there and periods where it is covered in thick black seasoning, depending on the wood I've used, water pan full or dry etc.

The steel is fairly thick though and mine is still completely sound, I expect it to last a long time and it's going to rust slowly here and there, I wouldn't be worried if it were mine but I'd have asked the question on here just as you have.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Newbie with paint blister/rust query... Empty Re: Newbie with paint blister/rust query...

Post  Mack Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The rust on your unit is not normal and I would suggest contacting the dealer where you purchased it from, or alternatively rubbing the area down and re-touching it with BBQ/ High heat paint.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ooglewoogle Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks for replies.

Unsure of next step. I am not thrilled about touching it up myself...but I'm guessing that to return it to the supplier I bought it online from would cost me a packet from up here in the Hebrides. Perhaps I will email them anyhow and see what they say. Any point in contacting ProBBQ directly from this site...or are you their representative on the forum Ian? (sorry if I misunderstood.)

Thanks again
Glen

ooglewoogle
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:57 pm

don't know who you bought from but I bought mine from Usefulstuff and there was a scratch on my lid (bashed in transit by ANC) and they just sent me a new lid, didn't want the old one back. Your dealer might take the same approach.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  ooglewoogle Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks Steve, thats good to know. I got mine from Brougham Hall Foods...I will drop them an email and see if we they can do likewise.

Thanks again.

ooglewoogle
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Fingers crossed for you, hope they sort you out satisfactorily.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 am

Hi,

I'm not so convinced its a paint blister, I have a 47cm WSM which is also porcelaine enamelled like your excel base and it came with a tiny chip in the lid around the rim where it fits to the top of the main body. It has a very similiar appearance to yours, anyway, it also appears to have a rainbow kind of colour to it around the affected area. I have left it for about four years and the it has bagan to spread a little but I'm not too worried.

Was this chipped when you received it?

Another alternative would be to keep it fire up permanently so it can't get wet and just cook on it for ever lol!

If you manage to get some of that Paint Mack mentioned can you let me know where you got it from.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Newbie with paint blister/rust query... Empty Date purchased

Post  Toby Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Glen, may sound like an odd question but when did you actually buy it? I supply spares for a few companies and need to double check the responsibility.

thanks

Toby
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://www.BBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down