macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temp control

4 posters

Go down

Temp control Empty Temp control

Post  ped Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi there

Can anyone advise how to reduce the temp on my excel?, yesterday when cooking, it refused to drop below 250 despite closing all lower vents, in the end I had to partially close the top vent, is this ok as I have heard it said that the top vent should never be touched?

p.s. the food was great despite this Smile

ped
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Back to top Go down

Temp control Empty Re: Temp control

Post  TobyAnscombe Mon May 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Dude - dont get too anal over temps...anything between 220 and 270 is fine; its the peaks and troughs that make bbq taste so good...

Assuming that you have the water bowl at least half full.. if not then try that. I seem to recall another post where someone (maybe Mac) mentioned that there is a big gap between the bowl and the side, hence why the Excel tends to run a little hotter...

Remember that the thermo is in the lid so will always slightly read higher than the grill - Do you stick a thermo into the meat to measure done-ness?

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ped Mon May 30, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't necessarily care that it is at 250 it was more a question of how I can reduce it if I want to, so, what means is there of reducing temp without closing the top vent which is a no no?

Have a Maverick thermometer so no issues re correct temps for food or cooker Wink

ped
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  TobyAnscombe Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Which charcoal are you using? Coconut tends to run hotter than bog standard lumpwood..

You are spot on, you really don't want to close the top vent, closing the bottom three by about 1/3 should be enough to bring it down..otherwise you will choke the fire.

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ped Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks Toby but it still does not answer the question, if all bottom vents are fully closed how do can I get the temp down? and fyi just using lumpwood.

ped
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 pm

One question -- how did you start the charcoal? If you got it all lit and it started at a high temperature, it would be difficult to bring down. Use the Minion method -- filling the basket with unlit charcoal and scattering 10-12 lit pieces on top. Alternately, leave a hole in the center of the unlit charcoal and pour the lit coals in the center. As the temperature starts to approach where you want it, start closing the bottom vents. I usually end up with only one bottom vent partially (1/8 to 1/4) open.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ped Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Minion used, pretty much understand how to control temp now by anticipating drops and increases, this time though I just couldn't get the temp down, I have to admit to using the clay saucer method which very normally works for me, and what I do if temps continue to rise is add some boiling water which normally reduces temp, but not this time so I don't know what the alternative is now ?

ped
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  drsweetsmoke Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Best thing to do is start with less fuel in the smoker all together. Once a cooker get a full basket going t impossible to stop then than removing some of the lit fuel.

Keep the lid closed as much as you can helps control tmps too.

I like to get all the meat ready and on the racks then put it in the smoker quickly before the temps get higher than 175.

drsweetsmoke
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  ped Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 am

Thanks Doc

ped
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  drsweetsmoke Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:15 pm

No worrys glad I could help. let me know how you get on.
Doc

drsweetsmoke
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down