macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

27 Pounds of Meat

2 posters

Go down

27 Pounds of Meat Empty 27 Pounds of Meat

Post  Lamoka Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Had 17 for dinner yesterday. Feasted on 2-5 pound briskets, 4 racks of pork ribs and 8 bacon wrapped chicken breasts. Started the briskets at 0800 and had everything done at 1830. I have the equivalent of the ProQ 20 but the model sold by Napolean. I did not have a spare inch on either grill.
The smoke started with the brisket and after 4 hrs added the ribs and chicken. Really struggled getting the temp up top above 200 once all the addition meat was added. I was wondering if the problem was simply too much meat or something else. Any ideas??? All vents were open full and I had plenty of lump coal.. This makes me wonder that if I were to add a 3rd section if there is enough heat generated to get any value from the extra capacity.

Lamoka
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

27 Pounds of Meat Empty Re: 27 Pounds of Meat

Post  drsweetsmoke Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 am

There shouldn't be a struggle when using lump unless there were a lot of smaller chunks. These can cause the even spread of the fire not to happen consistently enough. The second thing is the mass on the grill. If there isn't enough room around and through the meat it will restrict the flow of heat /air yet giving enough air space to keep the coals burning yet not efficient enough to get higher temp. Thermal energy in regards to the water pan- if you are using water in the pan it will eat up a lot of thermal energy trying to keep the water hot, try lining the water pan with tin foil then loading it with a thin layer of sand. This will give you steady temps for the entire cook. There is enough moisture in the neat to keep it from drying out.
Hope this helps,
Doc

drsweetsmoke
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

27 Pounds of Meat Empty Smoker Temp

Post  Lamoka Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was assuming that the problem was likely the heat sink effect of the large quantity of meat. Did not
consider the air flow or the water mass. The smoker was already 4 hrs into the process with 9 pounds of brisket with the water
pan full. I may have added 2 more liters but I really do not recall. I've been tempted to try using sand in the water pan.
Thinking I would use 10-15 pounds of sand, cover that with foil to try to avoid contamination from drippings and then add
a foil pan with 2 liters of water. That way I still get the moisture but likely great heat stability from the sand.
Would love to hear from others who have experimented with mass in the water pan besides water

Lamoka
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  drsweetsmoke Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I wouldn't use that much sand or worry about contaminating it. Just lay the foil first and get enough in there to cover the bottom about an 1/8 of an inch perhaps a 1/4 at most. If I'm doing three or four cooks that week i just use the same sand but if it's longer between then just put it in a bag and in the garbage for the Tuesday pick up.

A loy of people use a clay saucer i place of the pan. There are the ones you find at garden stores that sit under large potted plants.

drsweetsmoke
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down