macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Comps

+2
Chicago Jack
Toby
6 posters

Go down

British Comps Empty British Comps

Post  Toby Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi All,

Hope you had a good christmas and new year, has anyone heard of any BBQ comps (KCBS Style) in the UK for this year? I get the impression by the lack of activity from the organisers of the British BBQ Championship it will not be on this year? Or has anyone heard otherwise?

Toby
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://www.BBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

British Comps Empty bbq comps

Post  Chicago Jack Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Toby,
good to see you around. I guess there are a few of us waiting on news about any competitions. if you can find the name of the farm who provided the meat at last years comp. they might know something. From what I was told, they were going to host this years comp. If not, I don't see why some of us can't organize a little get together between ourselves. We definitely need more events where we can bring our smokers and promote real Q in the UK.
CJ

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

British Comps Empty Re: British Comps

Post  All Weather Griller Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I have repeatedly mailed the links on the website, the fact it hasn't been updated, and no-one responds doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I was wondering what the possibility would be of some of the UK forum members looking at organising our own events throughout the year / summer but more regionally.

The idea being that if Al could host one down Swindon way we could all meet up there and have a cook off, I think I could host one round here somewhere in North Notts, John could do one in the Wigan area, and perhaps Mack could do one in Devon somewhere, again, we all meet up and have a cook off.

If we tapped up our locals for sponsorship etc the prizes don't need to be extortionate, a few boxes of wine for first place, etc especially as we do it for the love of the sport. But I think it could be better than a huge event in the middle of nowhere and with no follow ups.

I would prefer more smaller events as opposed to just one a year. If I organised an event near here I would try to ensure people can pitch near their cooking area, caravans, tents what ever, rope off your space, light up and get going.

Make it a real family event.

Thoughts welcome chaps.

Here is a Regional Map of England (Not UK) - No Offence Wales, Scotland and NI, I think UK Government regionalise you as your own countries.

British Comps RegionMap

Last edited by All Weather Griller on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Map)
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:05 pm

All Weather Griller wrote:I have repeatedly mailed the links on the website, the fact it hasn't been updated, and no-one responds doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I was wondering what the possibility would be of some of the UK forum members looking at organizing our own events throughout the year / summer but more regionally.

The idea being that if Al could host one down Swindon way we could all meet up there and have a cook off, I think I could host one round here somewhere in North Notts, John could do one in the Wigan area, and perhaps Mack could do one in Devon somewhere, again, we all meet up and have a cook off.

If we tapped up our locals for sponsorship etc the prizes don't need to be extortionate, a few boxes of wine for first place, etc especially as we do it for the love of the sport. But I think it could be better than a huge event in the middle of nowhere and with no follow ups.

I would prefer more smaller events as opposed to just one a year. If I organised an event near here I would try to ensure people can pitch near their cooking area, caravans, tents what ever, rope off your space, light up and get going.

Make it a real family event.

Thoughts welcome chaps.

Here is a Regional Map of England (Not UK) - No Offence Wales, Scotland and NI, I think UK Government regionalise you as your own countries.

British Comps RegionMap

I kinda like that idea and I'm willing to bet I could get the pub next door to let us cook there. The pub has a large parking lot but electrics would be a problem.
http://www.arkells.com/pubs_more2.php?id=603

There is also one or two other choices that may be suitable one being a little further up the road and they often have huge pig roast over the summer and there is plenty of room behind the pub and a small grass area. That would be The Manor.
The Manor
Cheney Manor Road
Swindon
SN2 2NX
http://www.arkells.com/pubs_more2.php?id=633
We also have a HUGE park about 1/4 mile fro my front door just on the outside of town.

Trouble is I don't have the mindset to organize an event.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

British Comps Empty competitions

Post  Chicago Jack Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:08 am

yes indeed. Its certainly possible that I could try to organize a local event in the north west. I would love to meet up more than once a year. The spirit of last years comp. is still very much in my heart and I for one want more of it. Peace, Love and Barbecue. CJ

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 am

Cool Guys,

Al don't worry about organisation etc, the beauty of this is we can make it as simple or as complex as we like. If there is anything to pay we just create an entry fee from teams to cover it. I certainly don't mind the entry fees especially to cover any costs.

I have mailed the national trust to see if there is a possibility of using clumber park nearby. They have a rally field http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-clumberpark/w-clumber_park-2.htm

I will see if Mack can create us a separate group of threads called UK regionals and that way we can have sub threads for each region.
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

British Comps Empty First Venue

Post  Toby Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi All,

Glad this has sparked some interest, Last year I was looking at setting up a comp circuit, registered domain names looked into locations etc, I have only been holding back because I enjoy competing and couldn’t combine the 2. I have a venue for a test run in Surrey (I have just bought a smallholding with 5 acres and plenty of parking so we could all get together on a shoe string and see exactly whats involved, postcode GU10 1BP. I would like to arrange regional events with a national final later in the year. I have a contact at one of the forestry Commission sites on the Surrey / Hampshire border called “alice holt” which would be a good venue for the final (get the public involved). What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Toby
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 pm

HI Toby,

Count me in... Have caravan will travel . My wife has family that live in Goldalming so it could help me out.

https://2img.net/h/i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk176/webermad/BBQ%20Championships/qdsc1736.jpg

I am definately up for it mate.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Hey guys, glad to see there is so much interest.
Perhaps we should have a forum get together to cook and discuss all the options?
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Toby wrote:Hi All,

Glad this has sparked some interest, Last year I was looking at setting up a comp circuit, registered domain names looked into locations etc, I have only been holding back because I enjoy competing and couldn’t combine the 2. I have a venue for a test run in Surrey (I have just bought a smallholding with 5 acres and plenty of parking so we could all get together on a shoe string and see exactly whats involved, postcode GU10 1BP. I would like to arrange regional events with a national final later in the year. I have a contact at one of the forestry Commission sites on the Surrey / Hampshire border called “alice holt” which would be a good venue for the final (get the public involved). What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Toby

You Da Man!!!!!!!
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Toby wrote:Hi All,

Cheers

Toby
Hey Toby,

As a contest organizer (with a computerized scoring system, standardized rules, and judging sheets in the works), if there is anything I may be able to do from this distance, please let me know!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

British Comps Empty current situation

Post  Toby Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer, all advice is much appreciated, I am in talks with KCBS and Jack Daniels Distillery to see how best to present the comp circuit. I think its everyone’s dream to get to the Jack and we will need some sort of ratification from them and show this competition circuit as a serious opportunity not just a one off.

I appreciate the rules for the different groups in the US are fairly similar, The more recognition we can get from groups / societies such as yours will only add to the prestige of the events.

I have a set of rules ready plagiarised from 3 different societies, and am working on the web site as we speak.

I think a dry run at my site in Surrey would be good, if anyone has any dates in mind let me know……

Toby

BTW I will take anything you are offering Jim, Judging sheets, Scoring system etc
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Toby,

I like Mack's idea of using the first one as a Forum meeting. Perhaps if we did that then we could look at what have from JD, Jim and KCBS and define a set of rules that we need to follow in the regions.

As long as I have more than 3-4 weeks notice I can schedule my diary to accommodate.

What would be considered as not too early but not too late?

Easter perhaps? Not sure what the weather would be like around that time, although last year it was stunning.

Thoughts welcome.

Last edited by All Weather Griller on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Toby wrote:Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer, all advice is much appreciated, I am in talks with KCBS and Jack Daniels Distillery to see how best to present the comp circuit. I think its everyone’s dream to get to the Jack and we will need some sort of ratification from them and show this competition circuit as a serious opportunity not just a one off.

I appreciate the rules for the different groups in the US are fairly similar, The more recognition we can get from groups / societies such as yours will only add to the prestige of the events.

I have a set of rules ready plagiarised from 3 different societies, and am working on the web site as we speak.

I think a dry run at my site in Surrey would be good, if anyone has any dates in mind let me know……

Toby

BTW I will take anything you are offering Jim, Judging sheets, Scoring system etc
Toby,

I think most of the groups/societies over here have designed their rules/regulations to the KCBS standards. As long as you have a copy of theirs, I don't know that ours would provide anything different. As far as the scoring system...I sent an email to the guy working on my system today. As soon as I hear back from him, I'll let you know.

Happy to help out where I am able to do so.
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down