macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal?

5 posters

Go down

OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal? Empty OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal?

Post  irish_admiral Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Apologies for the very simple question, but the normal local supermarkets and hardware stores aren't carrying charcoal until April.

Anyone from the UK know where I might be able to get some?

Alternately, is household coal, which you would use in a stove, suitable for BBQ use?

irish_admiral
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Back to top Go down

OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal? Empty Re: OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal?

Post  Mack Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:12 pm

irish_admiral please do not use household coal, it will more than likely poison you.

Try a company called Big K products, they supply charcoal to the trade and may be able to supply restaraunt grade charcoal.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal? Empty Re: OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal?

Post  Lozart Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 pm

irish_admiral wrote:Apologies for the very simple question, but the normal local supermarkets and hardware stores aren't carrying charcoal until April.

Anyone from the UK know where I might be able to get some?

Alternately, is household coal, which you would use in a stove, suitable for BBQ use?

Simple answer: the internet
http://www.essentialbbq.co.uk/browse.php?cat=Accessories&type=Charcoal for example (it's where I get my coconut stuff)
Lozart
Lozart
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-27

http://www.lozart.net

Back to top Go down

OK, it's February. Where do I get charcoal? Empty charcoal supplies

Post  peter... Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi
Have a look at www.coals2you.co.uk

peter...
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 pm

You might want to talk to Toby over at the British BBQ Society. He's just secured sponsorship for the competition circuit with Heat Beads and is now selling them at cost price for collection in Surrey or with delivery of up to 21kg for £8p&p

The heat beads are an awesome product.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:59 am

Steve, have you tried the Heat Beads yet?
I ask because our distributor in France started using them, but had no joy, as they didn't give off enough heat.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  irish_admiral Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the pointers and to Mack for stopping me poisoning myself.

I've managed to order some coconut shell charcoal from CPL at £6 per 5kg sack, with free delivery on orders over £30. I gave them a call today, and they've got plenty just in for the new season, so if you're looking for some, they've got some!

http://www.creativegardenideas.co.uk/cocoshell-charcoal-briquettes

irish_admiral
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  irish_admiral Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Charcoal arrived from CPL - it's good stuff!

Cooked some today using the minion method... a very consistent burn with a chimney full of briquettes, and another thin ring on the coals grate. Kept me with a very steady 235 degress F for about 4 hours whilst I smoked a whole chicken, and then did the remainder of my fish and meat for the BBQ... very happy.

irish_admiral
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

Mack,

I've used the heat beads and they were fine. I was reluctant at first because I tried Penn Beads and they were no good. I don't use water in the Excel any more, I use the clay saucer method and I was able to get a solid 300 for a power cook on some pork using heat beads. They lasted a long time too.

My favourite fuel is still restaurant grade lump because it has no additives but I'll happily use heat beads and CPL coconut charcoal if I can't get lump. Thankfully I know I can get at least one of these products at any time of the year so I never have a fuel drought now.

For anyone who's in the North West of England, the company who do the blue bag stuff you find in Makro and Booker is based in Burnley and will sell directly to the public so you have a great opportunity to get some charcoal if you're out that way. Credit to All Weather Griller for finding out about that.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down