macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier

3 posters

Go down

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Empty Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier

Post  Novice Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Last week I did the 'extra holes in the base' mod on the my Frontier (I just put in two extra holes each side rather than four).
I downloaded a load of info on 'the correct way to cut a Pork Butt' - for my butcher (thanks for the info guys), & tonight I'm putting it on for an overnight cook!
The butcher did a great job, but left a strip of skin on (I've sliced this off & will do some crackling later today), after trimming off all the excess fat it's a shade under 9lbs.
I have also used my meat injector for the first time, (apple juice, water, sugar worcester sauce & rub).
I'll put it on at about 11.00 tonight & hope it will run smooth through the night (& hope the Redi Check will wake me if it goes out of range).

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Th_DSCF1193

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Empty Re: Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier

Post  Novice Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:16 am

Hmmm, it worked!
Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Th_DSCF1194

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Th_DSCF1195

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier Empty Re: Pulled Pork Overnight cook on the Frontier

Post  steveheyes Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:07 pm

That looks good dude.

How did you find your unit for holding temp overnight? I ask because I did 2 briskets over night on Thursday, started at 11 but found at 7 the following morning I'd started to have a drop off on the E20 although I still had a lot of unburnt coals. So I wondered how it worked for you
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 am

Hi Steve,
This is the first cook I have done on my Frontier with my newly added additional vents in the bottom, so it was a bit of an experiment. I use coconut charcoal (it's all i've ever used), it burns long hot & clean.
I put a full(ish) chimney of coals into a very full basket (probably 6-7kg) of coals with a hole in the middle, so the lit coals more than filled the hole I'd left & sat on top as well.
The Frontier very quickly came up to 225f & I put the meat on, (10.30 pm) but it carried on to 260f, even when I shut the bottom vents. I think I put too many lit coals on, next time I will use less lit & wait longer for it to get to temp.
It went through the night with the vents just cracked open at 250f - 275f, at 8.00am it was at 225f, still going strong with the vents barely cracked open & the pork was done!
I left it till 9.00am to take the pork off, internal temp was 196f, I wrapped it in foil, put it in a warm holding oven, pulled & ate it at 1.20, it was GREAT!
There were a few unlit coals left in the basket, but if I had opened the vents a bit more (or turned the basket in the base slightly) I'm confident it would have run for another 2-3 hrs without any problem.
As I say, I have a Frontier not an Excel, so they may have different characteristics, I have one base vent with four holes, & have now added two more vents with two holes each, I only added two holes as I wanted it as easy as possible to control the temp, I just wanted a more even burn across the coals rather than hotter temps & I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 am

Hey,

sounds like a successful experiment for you Very Happy

Your approach sounds like mine but like you say, they're different cookers and I expect the E20 to be a bit more fuel hungry as it's got a lot more volume to heat. I think I've just got to fine tune my method over a couple of cooks.

Really glad the pork worked well for you, did PP myself a week ago and it was great. Yours looks really good from the photo, makes we hungry every time I come to this page Laughing
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks Steve, yes I think it was a successful mod, the photo of the shredded pork was actually taken of the cold leftovers a day after the cook, we were looking forward to eating it so much I forgot to take a pic while it was hot!
My mouths watering thinking about it now (is that bad to say about your own food? like laughing at your own jokes? Rolling Eyes )

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 am

No mate it's nothing like laughing at your own jokes, it's far more acceptable Laughing

You've just got to be pleased that your own food makes your mouth water, especially after cooking it overnight
Very Happy
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:06 am

Good job and nice pics!

Makes me remember the times I've opened the pit in front of 'newbies' to see the look on their faces at the nearly black bark. They can't believe it's going to taste amazing...until they try it.

Anyway, kudos!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down