macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS

5 posters

Go down

Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS Empty Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS

Post  Toby Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

A new opportunity has presented itself. My local runs beer festivals twice a year, profits to Surrey Air Ambulance. I have spoken to them about the BBBQS sponsoring the glasses (this is the only profit to SAA), but also getting a couple of teams to prepare and sell food all weekend. The beer festival runs from Friday 11th Sept (Fri, Sat & Sun). My thoughts 3 team cooking from the Thursday night, (public can see driving past) to supply food all weekend, they will not do any food of any kind, all BBQ and Beer.

After covering costs you will not make a fortune, but will make money and it will be a great weekend. I know this is unusual, but we have very little opportunity to practice, I will front all costs for food, charcoal etc. Pub will supply electricity, water, toilets…………….and a few beers………. Etc. If people would just like to come and help, hinder, drink etc you are more than welcome to use my Q’s ( I will be in the bar), this is just an extra in the calendar……..

If anyone is interested please let me know……….

Food for thought:-

Pulled Pork
Briskett
Ribs
Philly Beef Steaks (Thin Beef, Cheese sauce, onions, BBQ Sauce)
And anything else that will sell………………………..

Thanks

Toby

PS still waiting for British (or European) Teams to send their details to me at toby@sheagroup.com to update the BBBQS web site (will be launching in a few days).

PPS. Pubs web site can be seen here, http://www.whiteharttongham.co.uk/ we will be cooking at the front of the pub.
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://www.BBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS Empty bbq freaks.

Post  Chicago Jack Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 pm

hi Toby, got a similar situation going on up here where I will be requiring paid guest BBQ cooks to come and work. If you still have my number give me a call, if not send me a p.m. p.l.a.b. C.J.

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS Empty Re: Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS

Post  Dr_KY Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 am

I'l' check with our transport manager ( Mark) and see if he's available is so then a short trip near Aldershot should be no problem. It may be tough to get there before Friday evening though.

*edit* Had a word with him and he should be checking in shortly, for the moment it sounds like a GO! *

Last edited by Dr_KY on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS Empty BBQ freaks

Post  Chicago Jack Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 pm

looking forward to hooking up again Al....we smokin'....p.l.a.b. C.J.

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 am

Dont worry Al, I can cover Friday, would be good to see you guys anytime you can make it. You will be able to see the venue in May as its only up the road from my place.
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 am

Cool!

Be great to see the both of you. It looks to only be a good hour plus away.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Hey Toby,

I'll come over some point during the weekend, it'll be good to meet some of the people from the forum.

I would offer to cook as I know I'll be plenty practised by then Very Happy however I'm getting married the following week and if I committed to an all weekend event the missus would kill me affraid

Am definatley going to be coming over to your May event too, whether it will be to participate or just observe depends on whether I can get my mate to agree to start a team with me.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Steve it will be good to meet you, ref the comp there will be a couple of people competing on their own, it will be a good weekend so worth turning up even if you are on your own, lads beer and bbq................. I am still searching for that elusive womans team.......... i am starting to think its an urban myth.
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Man, I would LOVE to join you guys over there! Sounds like it'll be a great time with great people! Alas...not meant to be for this year. Have a great time and post pics of everyone having a great time.
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Toby,

I did try to convince my other half that she and two of her mad mates should form a team, even said they could use my cooker. I don't think they'll go for it though.

Will definately be there in May, will let you know soon whether I'll be cooking or not.

I did want to ask you about the BBBQs comp rules actually. I was reading them on the site and was wondering about a) whether the categories listed were the only ones you planned to run in hte future or whether you'd thought about a wildcard category for other meats like lamb or game etc.

Also on the pork front, both my local butchers don't know what Butt and picnic cuts are as they're american style cuts. I'm just looking for a proper explanation to give to my butcher so I can try pulled pork with a boston butt. So are you strict about the cut or will any whole shoulder cut be acceptable, on or off the bone?

Cheers

Steve
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:04 pm

steveheyes wrote:Also on the pork front, both my local butchers don't know what Butt and picnic cuts are as they're american style cuts. I'm just looking for a proper explanation to give to my butcher so I can try pulled pork with a boston butt. So are you strict about the cut or will any whole shoulder cut be acceptable, on or off the bone?

Check out this link ->[url] http://www.90meat.com/porkDiagram.gif[/url]
Beer, BBQ & a few quid - BBBQS PorkDiagram

Hope that helps!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Cheers Jim, absolutely perfect!

It's what my understanding of the butt was but now I can show my butcher the diagram and he'll be happy cutting it for me.

I assume that that pulled pork is typically cooked on the bone. Am I correct?

Cheers

Steve
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:45 pm

steveheyes wrote:Cheers Jim, absolutely perfect!

It's what my understanding of the butt was but now I can show my butcher the diagram and he'll be happy cutting it for me.

I assume that that pulled pork is typically cooked on the bone. Am I correct?

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes, on the bone. The butt is comprised of around 7 different muscles around the shoulder blade. Once cooked for pulled pork, you'll be able to grab the bone and slide it right out...it's that tender. Besides, I'm a believer that the bone adds flavor...keep it in until it's not needed. Smile

Good luck!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Dude you gotta come cook with us! You don't need a team just get after it and float around.

PS bring cider.lol
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi Steve, for the moment we will be sticking with those catagories, we need to get recognition form the American circuits so that our competitiors can be put forward for the main comps in the US, in the future who knows, but i cannot see other catagories apart from peoples choice etc being added for a couple of years. :::::::::::::::subliminal message::::::::::::::::::: compete compete compete compete...........

Doc,
Talking of cider my home brew should be about perfect in May, first thing i did when i moved here was buy a fruit press and crush the apples from all 3 trees................... if its rubbish i will end up with 5 gallons of Cider Vinegar Rolling Eyes
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Toby, I see where you're coming from with the categories and I agree. Hopefully your hard work will be rewarded over time and us Brits can get some recognition across the pond.

Would be awesome if at some point in the future we could compete using some of our wonderful native game. Or the finest lamb in the world straight from wales. We have such good native meat in this country it's just unfortunate so many Brits have been dumbed down with crap intensively farmed supermarket crap and poor cooking techniques. Oops bit of a rant slipped out there.

On a different note I'm 90% on for may. Went out with my mate tonight and he is up for it as long as it doesn't clash with his holiday. Just need a team
Name now!
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm

Toby wrote:
Doc,
Talking of cider my home brew should be about perfect in May, first thing i did when i moved here was buy a fruit press and crush the apples from all 3 trees................... if its rubbish i will end up with 5 gallons of Cider Vinegar Rolling Eyes

There is a use for Cider Vinegar . Smile

So you ready to part with one of those pellet popers yet?
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down