macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love my Excel 20 (long)

+2
Goose
BowtieBill
6 posters

Go down

I love my Excel 20 (long) Empty I love my Excel 20 (long)

Post  BowtieBill Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 pm

I now love my Excel 20. I struggled for a while getting good temps and burn times, but thanks to All Weather Griller, I now know why, and am now getting consistent 7+ hour burns, and high enough temps I have to throttle the dampers way down.
The problem I had was trying to do a true Minion Method, dumping the hot coals directly over a basket of unlit. But after seeing a picture posted by AWG, I tried a similar method to his. Using some extruded coconut charcoal, and leaving the center of the basket open for placement of the hot coals, I was able to achieve the high temps and long burns.
I was concerned that it might only work with the Coconut charcoal, which is hard to get here, expensive, and I only had a couple of boxes left. So I tried the same method using a mixture of Royal Oak lump and Kingsford briquettes. And wouldn't you know it, I got the same results!
The key is having the center area where you dump the hot coals open to the bottom of the basket, allowing air to come up from the bottom. When using the true Minion method, my coals were not getting the airflow, and almost going out.
Now most of the time I am using the foil balls in the pan, so I can cook overnight and get some sleep. I will also try water in the pan some time when I can monitor the water usage. But right now I do not see a need, except maybe if I wanted to bring the temps down lower. But I do not mind smoking butts and ribs at 235-250 degrees, and they are coming out very good. And it is easy to bump the temps up higher for chicken, etc.
I bought the Excel to give me the ability to cook overnight and get some sleep, and that is what I am now able to do. And in conjuction with my Maverick, I am now confident I am getting consistent temps. It is not meant to replace my Klose, I still love the product I produce from my stick burner. But it gives me options.

Who knows, I might even try using the Excel at a comp, though it would be hard not to cook a comp on my Klose.

So thanks Ian, AWG, and others. I am now a very happy customer.

Bill
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

I love my Excel 20 (long) Empty Re: I love my Excel 20 (long)

Post  Goose Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Great report Bill, I am awaiting delivery on my unit, and hope to have my first Q today.

The tip about the fuel is much appreciated. So you had to choke down the fire dampers quite a bit?

Jim
Goose
Goose
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-29

http://www.badgerandblade.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Goose wrote:Great report Bill, I am awaiting delivery on my unit, and hope to have my first Q today.

The tip about the fuel is much appreciated. So you had to choke down the fire dampers quite a bit?

Jim

Yes Jim, a lot. Usually have one about half way open, the other two just barely open or closed.
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey Bill Great News!!!

Glad it all worked out, I'm not sure about you but when I'm smoking overnight its like having a ill baby, I'm up checking the temps every 5 mins although it usually is fine.

I love my Excel too, it's like a child.

Cool
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey AWG, did I say "Thanks"? Exclamation
Actually, the hard part for me is falling asleep. Once I do, with the Maverick set next to my head, I find that I can get some sleep and not worry about the temps too much. I do reach over and check it when ever do I wake up though.

All Weather Griller wrote:Hey Bill Great News!!!

Glad it all worked out, I'm not sure about you but when I'm smoking overnight its like having a ill baby, I'm up checking the temps every 5 mins although it usually is fine.

I love my Excel too, it's like a child.

Cool
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm

BowtieBill wrote:Hey AWG, did I say "Thanks"?

I'm sure you did but then again no worries, I'm sure I will be on the scrounge for advice at some point over the summer.

sunny
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

I love my Excel 20 (long) Empty Excel 20 vs. stick burners

Post  Chicago Jack Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am

Thank you Bill and AWG for this topic. Having been an avid stick burner for some years I bought a couple of Traegers last year and I think I now understand their pros and cons. Unfortunately for my bank balance I now would like to cook on a big green egg, an exel 20, a pit in the ground or simply any opportunity I get. I think after your conversation Ill buy an excel 20. loving the passion...CJ....P.S. donthink there is as much fun as using an offset yet Im considering buying a BBQ Guru..any knowledge on these devices?

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice on this one guy's. Hey AWG, how do you go about achieving this when using the Looft Lighter rather than a chimney starter? I've not done an overnighter that I've started with this, but I normally just heat up the top layer of coals in the middle. Do you use a different method?

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:20 pm

I use the Looft with my chimney starter, generally I hold the chimney starter and put the Looft underneath. I tend to use just a small amount of briquets. It's not ideal but it works well.
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I am not sure what a Looft is, but it sounds like it might work similar to what I use, which is a Weed Burner. When using the Excel, I also use it to lite the coals in my charcoal chimney, rather then the coals directly in the Excel charcoal basket.
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Sorry Bill,

Here ya go http://www.looftlighter.com/
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks, AWG. Looks interesting.
Here is the toy I use.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91037
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks AWG, Ahhhh, using two toys together, my brain isn't advanced enough to work that one out for myself Doh! Embarassed
I have just been lighting a few coals on the top of the pile but this will clearly work better, I feel some pulled pork coming on at the next possible chance! (or maybe I might try a brisket for the first time)

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Well done and congrats. I didn't realise you were not leaving a hole in the center.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Yes, was using the typical "Minion Method". Just did not work with the Excel.
Now that I (with help from you all) discovered the error of my ways, I have been having much better success.
This last weekend I tried it using water in the pan. I did not have a high temp issue, the Excel ran about 240 on top rack. I did not get a chance to really test and and record temps/times, was at our annual Qfest and once I finished smoking a couple of Fattys (that sounds funny), I left the smoker alone so I did not see how long the water lasted or the temps held. So I will try it with water in the pan again soon. I think I will find that I like using it without water though, especially doing over-night cooks.
Now I just need to drill out and install a couple of temp probe eyelets.
Thanks for the help.
Bill
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down