macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperature won't go above 170F

2 posters

Go down

Temperature won't go above 170F Empty Temperature won't go above 170F

Post  dlaalueren Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:59 am

Hello all,
I am from Australia and have just bought a Pro Q Excel 20. Unfortunately for me both times I have used to cook a chicken I can't seem to get the temperature about 170F. I have filled the water pan 1/2-3/4 with boiling water, used the chimney starter and good lump charcoal (Kamado Joe). I also have a probe thermometer in the chicken during the cook and it get to 70C and won't go any higher.

However, last night after I removed and finished it off in the oven I went back out to check the Pro Q as I had closed all of the vents for shutdown and the temp was at 220F! I opened the lid and the water pan was very low. Would I be right to think my water levels in previous cooks have been too high this restriction the ability for the temperature to rise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie at this and would love to get it right as soon as I can.

Thank you,

dlaalueren
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-11-22

Back to top Go down

Temperature won't go above 170F Empty Re: Temperature won't go above 170F

Post  pb.bbq Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Hello dlaalueren

I always use a full water pan and I have no problem.
For example I fill my water pan up to the top. I start by using 1 chimney starter full of charcoal I wait until I see flames coming from the top of the chimney starter before I pour it into the charcoal basket and then top up the basket with more lump wood straight onto the lit charcoal. I open up the vents so they are half to fully open then fill the water pan up to the top with hot water then place it into the stacker, You can just use one stacker or both stacker's depending on how much you are cooking. place the stacker with the water pan onto the base and put the lid on the smoker making sure the lid vent is open. Then go and get the chicken I prefer to lay my chicken on the grill instead of using a chicken rack as the chicken fills up with lots of fluid which I use to make up the gravy, once the chicken is on the grill put the lid back on again.
get the wood chips or chunks you want to use, open up the door on the stacker and throw the wood onto the charcoal and close the door and walk away, and I don't come back to the smoker until 3 and half hours later.
by this time I know my chicken is cooked I used to use a probe when I first started cooking, But now I can just tell its cooked. If for some reason the chicken skin is not crispy enough just take out the water pan and let the skin crisp up for about 15 to 20 mins but its important to check the chicken often to prevent it from burning at this stage.

You should then have a nice smoked chicken by this point let it rest for a little while, when cutting the leg off the chicken you should see lots of fluid come out its nothing to worry about its just the juices of the chicken that its been cooking in. One of the reason I like to lay my chicken flat on the grill then I end up with a nice moist chicken

happy smoking

from Paul

pb.bbq
pb.bbq
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2013-02-14

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dlaalueren Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:57 am

Thank you Paul for your help, greatly appreciated.

dlaalueren
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down