macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ

+7
Novice
corn
Squeezy
Uncle Jack
Mack
Don Marco
bbq-devil
11 posters

Go down

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Empty Two more vents for the base of the ProQ

Post  bbq-devil Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 pm

I´m sure some of you have had problems with air circulation in the ProQ. Only one vent in the base, which is beside or over the charcoal sometimes is not enough.

In another german forum I found a solution. Perhaps some of you know, but I didn´t find a threat about it here.

In another threat here I read the word "to mcgyver", I like it very much and my wife started laughing as I told her: "I´ll go in the back yard for mcgyvering."

Ok, here we go:

At first I bought some original vents from the WSM, because, you can´t get spareparts for the ProQ in Germany. Now I know, that Ian could have helped me, but at this time I didn´t know that.

Then I measured the right place for the holes and marked them:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_010

After this I took a drill bit an drilled the holes. Because of the enamel you have to be very carefull. Start with the smallest drill you have and take bigger ones as long as the needed hole is big enough. Here a pic of the steps:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_011

After I hab no bigger drill, I took such a tool to make the holes big enough. Sorry, but I don´t know the name of it:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_012

Here the result:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_013

I bought some heat resistant finish, because I did´n want my ProQ to rust:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_014

650 degree Celsius = 1200 degree fahrenheit

For hardening the finish needs 500 degree fahrenheit fore more than 30 minutes, but you have to heat up not to fast.

So the holes lookes after spraying:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_015

I sprayed every hole in the base, because on some was a little rust.

Aftert that I started a fire in my 57cm Outdoorchef. I put the base of the ProQ upside down on the rost for 30 minuts:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_016

30 minutes later it put the bas directly over the charcoal:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_017

Another 30 minutes later I closed the top of the Outdoorchef and waited untill fire cooled down:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_018

Here is the result:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_019

Here with the charcoal basket, you can see, that the new holes are under the base of the basket, so the air has to go through the charcoal:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_020

Here from outside:

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Bild_021

And here the first chicken I smoked in the "New Mcgyvered Version":

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Hansaw10

On the top of the ProQ you don´t need mote holes, one is absolutely enough.

The pimped version produces heat like hell. It´s no problem to bring it up to 400degree fahrenheit with sand or water. With sand in the water-pan, high quality charcoal and the minion-method you can smoke more than twelve hours with only one basket of charcoal.
bbq-devil
bbq-devil
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.bbq-county.de

Back to top Go down

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Empty Re: Two more vents for the base of the ProQ

Post  Don Marco Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Goof Job !

I did the exact same thing to a friends pro-q frontier last saturday.
Its really worth doing it if you have the first version of the cooker that has only one bottom vent.

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Empty Re: Two more vents for the base of the ProQ

Post  Mack Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 am

Good job Tobias!
One thing I would mention for anyone wishing to do this mod... be careful not to position the vents too far down, as this may allow hot charcoal to fall out of the vents, causing a major fire hazard.

Our new model of Frontier has been per-fitted with 3 vents.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbq-devil Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:31 am

Ian is right. The Charcoal falls out of te vents. But it did it with only one vent too. I place some steel bowls under them on the floor, so nothing can happen.

Yes Ian, I know there will be new version of the frontier with three vents in 2008, but I didn´want to wait that longe. When does it come to the german marcet. Mr. Pieper didn´t know, as I asked him???

I´m looking forward to the big one, the EXEL 20" (right name???). When does this one come to Germany???

Greets,

BBQ-Devil Twisted Evil
bbq-devil
bbq-devil
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.bbq-county.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Jack Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Did the same thing to mine. Works wonders to get a better fuel burn.

To solve the hot ash problem, I went to the auto parts store and purchased a heavy duty aluminum drip pan that I placed under my cooker to catch the hot ash. Make clean up of the patio a lot easier and I can use it on my wooden deck as well.

Thanks for a great post Tobias!! U.J.

Uncle Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Squeezy Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Mack wrote:Good job Tobias!
One thing I would mention for anyone wishing to do this mod... be careful not to position the vents too far down, as this may allow hot charcoal to fall out of the vents, causing a major fire hazard.

Our new model of Frontier has been per-fitted with 3 vents.

I understand that most of the dealers in N. America are waiting for stock ... will they be getting the 3 vent models in that shipment?
Squeezy
Squeezy
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Squeezy, the new 3 vent models will only be available in the USA towards the end of the year... we don't even have them here yet.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  corn Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Anyone happen to know where I can get 2 extra vents for a Frontier in the UK? Or, alternatively WSM vents?

Cheers

corn
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Corn,
PM me with your address and I'll pop some in the post for you.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  corn Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 am

PM Sent Smile

corn
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm thinking about adding the two extra vents to my Frontier, now you guy's have had chance to run it with the extra vents are you happy, is it still controllable or does the temp run to high?

I have been thinking about maybe only putting two holes in each side so it is easier to control?

I'd appreciate your thoughts before I start drilling the base.

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Hey Novice,

I have the Frontier and had the same issues with one vent. I've found that making a "U" around the vent, free of charcoal, helped a lot! With that extra space around the vent, my charcoal burned completely and held temps very well. I thought about modifying mines, but with the trick was very satisfied with the results. Give that a try before drilling and see what happens. Let us know the results please.
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm sure I already replied to this, but my post seems to have vanished Neutral Thanks for the advice Jenks, I will give it a go before butchering my smoker.

I would still interested in hearing what the guys who have done the mod think about their results though.

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Burbs Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Is there any chance that I can order just a new bottom with the 3 vents? I would like to have a 4 hole vent system, to be consistent, but it sounds like that could be a problem here in the U.S.

Chris
Burbs
Burbs
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:23 pm

Burbs,

I asked that very same question a little while ago and found that that is not an option right now. Mack, has that changed?
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Burbs Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:00 pm

With the lack of replies, I take it that it can't be done, yes?
Burbs
Burbs
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Burbs, at this stage it is not an option, as it would mean having to break apart a complete unit.

Sorry!
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Burbs Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Mack wrote:Burbs, at this stage it is not an option, as it would mean having to break apart a complete unit.

Sorry!

What about adding some 2 more vents? Could I order the parts that would match what I have?
Burbs
Burbs
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:57 am

Burbs, give me your full postal address, and I'll get 2 vents sent out to you.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey Ian,

Do you expect this to be an option soon? I don't have the tools the mod my Frontier. If push comes to shove, I'll take the vents also.
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Jenks, it's unlikely to be an option in the near future, so if you'd like to supply me with your full postal address, I will arrange to have some vents sent to you.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Burbs Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Mack,

Many thanks for sending me those vents. I truly appreciate you doing that at your own expense, thank you again sir.

Chris
Burbs
Burbs
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Two more vents for the base of the ProQ Empty 2 extra vent covers

Post  bobby Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Does any one know were I can get 2 more four hole vent covers for my frontier please Im desperate
ROB

bobby
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Bobby,

Been in your neck of the woods today, installed some kit at Castle Hill Hospital.

In terms of the vents, send Mack from the forum a PM.

He is in Africa at the min but is usually able to help with spares and I suspect he can do this via e-mail to his parts department.

Hope this helps

Adie
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down