macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prime Rib ala ProQ

3 posters

Go down

Prime Rib ala ProQ Empty Prime Rib ala ProQ

Post  Uncle Jack Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 am

Did ya miss me guys? I been so up to my eyeballs in alligators I forgot to drain the swamp. Anyway, here's Prime Rib ala ProQ. I started out with a 4# chunk of prime cut by my local butcher shop:

Prime Rib ala ProQ PrimeRib1

First thing is to makle sure that the bone gets cut completely away from the meat and add a few cloves of garlic. I used elephant garlic this time around, but it turned out a little too mild for my taste, so I would recommend the regular stuff if you are a garlic lover.

Cut your garlic into slivers to fit your taste and make a series of 1/2 inch deep slits with the point of a sharp knife every 2 inches all over the roast. Insert a slice of garlic, or a whole clove if you really love the stuff in every other slit. I put a leaf of fresh rosemary in the rest, but it's up to you.

Prepare your rub or use a store bought one, there are lots of nice prime rib & roast seasonings out there. As far as store bought goes I like the either McCormick's or Carl's Gourmet out of San Francisco. Here is the recipe for the rub that I used this time:

1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp coarse sea salt
1 Tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Rub it all over the meat:

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib2

Put the roast back on the bones and re-tie together:

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib3

I prefer to let my roast rest in the seasonings in the fridge over night. When you get ready to cook take it out and let it move up toward room temp as you get your fuel and cooker ready. I soaked a double hand full of Smokinlicious red oak in apple juice as my coals got hot. Once the cooker was up to temp, 225-230 degrees, it was time to put the meat to the heat and add the smoke:

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib4

You can figgure between 12 and 15 minutes per pound of meat with the cooker running at 225 to 230 degrees. I prefer my prime rib rare so I let it cook until the internal temp reached 115 degrees, cook time was 2 hours flat. If you like your meat a little more well done, let the temp reach 125 before you pull it off. But PLEASE don't let this fine cut of beef get over cooked. If you like your beef well done, buy a piece of chuck roast.

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib5

With the meat on a plate cover it with foil for 15 to 25 minutes before cutting,

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib6

and serving:

Prime Rib ala ProQ Primerib7

Sorry, I didn't take any photos of the rest of the meal on the table so you will just have to imagine a nice chunk of this wonderful dead beef shareing the plate with a couple of Roxy's twice baked taters, asparagus, home baked dinner rolls and a nice glass of merlot . . . or was that 2 glasses? I forget.

Sweet smoke to all ya'll, U.J.

Uncle Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Prime Rib ala ProQ Empty Re: Prime Rib ala ProQ

Post  bowhnter Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Nice prime rib UJ, glad to see ya stoppin by!
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazfoz Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Man that looks good!!! Only 115 internal? looks warmer than that but what the hell I will try 115 internal next time many thanks for sharing.

Gazfoz
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down