Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Don Marco on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Howdy folks...

Havent been around here for a while ( Embarassed ) but i thought i might report back for duty with my review of
the new Cold Smoke generator :

Ian came up with a very smart cold smoke generator that can be used with regular smoking/saw dust.

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Its a very well made unit of ~6 x 6 inches.
You put the sawdust in the unit, scrape it evenly across it and then light it with a small candle. After 30-60 seconds you can remove the candle and then the dust will smolder for up to ten hours, according to pro-Q.

I used the Oak wood that came with the unit for smoking some cheese. After lighting it i put the CSG into my medium egg. Put a bowl of ice on top of the grate cause its a hot august day over here and i want to keep the temperature down. The CSG produces very very little heat, so its not neccessary to use ice in the colder month.
I smoked some irish cheddar for now, but i cant wait to try and smoke ham and sausages in the autumn.

After two hours i took the cheese off the egg and couldnt resist to try it, wich ended up in eating 1/4 of that chunk... Wow thats good stuff
The egg was filled with smoke and the CSG burned along good without the fire jumping over to another row or stopping at all.
Im sure theres at least another 8 hours of smoke with the remaining dust.

This is a nice little and inexpensive toy that make cold smoking very easy.
Cant wait to try out more. Who would have thought id ever wish autumn would come sooner.

Ill let you know about the total burn time tomorrow.

DM
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Don Marco on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:44 am

The CSG smoked all night long and ran out of fuel after producing steady clean and cold smoke for 10 hours. Wow ! Ham, Bacon and Sausage, here i come !

Im sure Pro-Q will come up with a stacker for 20 hours smoke soon

DM
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Smoke time...

Post  PjL on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I can agree with the 10 hours for Oak smoking.

I have just used my first batch of Hickory and this lasts a lot longer than Oak, about 3 times as long.

I lightly pack the dust down and am finding I get between 20 and 30 hours. I am assuming Hickory burns much slower or has more "energy" in it to allow it to do so. Has anyone else noticed this?

** UPDATE ** Sorry, the reason I was getting 20+ hours was because the sides of my CSG were clogged with tar (forgot what a new clean one looked like!) providing less air, just coincidence that I had just switched to Hickory. I wondered why it was more difficult to light! Took my trusty plumbing blowtorch to it and burned it all off. I'm back to a much faster burn now. Interesting though, I was still generating enough smoke.

Last edited by PjL on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update, as original conclusion was incorrect.)

PjL
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top