macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final tips for 1st real smoke

+2
Mack
Daved
6 posters

Go down

Final tips for 1st real smoke Empty Final tips for 1st real smoke

Post  Daved Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:52 am

Hi, been waiting a week now on my Maverick ET-73 hopefully it arrives today. In the meantime Im thinking about my 1st smoke which will be on a weber kettle grill which Im sure will be a bit more challenging than a pro q.

I think Im gonna go with pulled pork then a brisket. Has anyone got any tips or tricks on getting the kettle up to temp and maintaining it ? I'll be using briquettes by the way !

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Final tips for 1st real smoke Empty Re: Final tips for 1st real smoke

Post  Mack Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

Hi Daved,
Your Kettle will get up to temp pretty quickly, the problem is going to be how to keep it at between 200-250 deg F.
Both of the cuts of meat you mentioned are best done at low temps for long periods of time (although Bowhunter has posted a hot and fast method for brisket https://proq.forumotion.com/smoking-low-and-slow-f3/hot-n-fast-brisket-t274.htm ).
I got up at 5am to put on a pork shoulder/butt and I'm hoping it will be ready by around 6pm tonight.
I haven't ever tried pulled pork or brisket on a "Kettle", so can't really advise on how to do it, hopefully someone will be along soon that can.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Before I was able to get my first REAL smoker, I used to do everything on the Weber Kettle. Not as difficult as one might think as long as you're pretty comfortable with your cooker, and have a pretty good grasp on smoking temps and techniques. My kettle is an older one...has three vents on the bottom...here's what I did.

1. Leave top vent full open (probably for most of the cook). Bottom vents (if you have more than one) should be all open to get the fire going, then close off (completely) 2 of them and use the third vent to control the airflow for temps.

2. Place a roasting pan (covered in foil) on one side of the charcoal grate and fill with water. Fill the other side of the charcoal grate with unlit charcoal (I was using briquettes at that stage of my life); then top with whatever smoking wood you're using...just a few chunks. If you're using chips, I would soak them in water for at least 1/2 an hour then place them on the charcoal after you put your lit charcoal on the unlit. If using wood chips, and they're wet, be sure to shake off excess water before topping the lit charcoal. BTW...the foil around the roasting pan is simply for making clean-up MUCH easier. The water isn't neccessarily for moisture, but to help regulate temperature.

3. Bring kettle up to around 300*F before putting food on grill grate. Be sure to place your food on the grate directly over the water pan. And place lid on kettle right away. The kettle temp will drop...that's okay...unless you're wanting to cook hot-n-fast.

4. I would adjust the bottom vent to nearly closed at times...depending on the temp you're wanting to maintain. I usually shot for around 225*F to 235*F. I never had to open the two closed vents at all, unless I let the temp drop too much and had to get it revved up again. The top vent you may need to adjust a bit, but I typically left it wide open.

As mentioned, this is the technique I used on my older Weber Kettle (3 vents on bottom), if you have the One Touch model, I would guess it will work pretty much the same; the key is to keep a nice flow of air from bottom to top. Use the bottom vent (as much as possible) for the heat control. In leaving the top vent open, you will allow more draw which can help in not oversmoking the food.

Hope it helps! Let us know!

By the way...RESIST lifting the lid too often! This will drop the temperature very quickly! This was the hardest part for me as a new smoker...not looking to see how pretty everything was on the grate. Smile Only lift when you feel you absolutely have to remove the lid...to add charcoal, perhaps a little more water (if you add more water, make sure it is very hot water), saucing/glazing at the end of the cook, or to mist/baste...that's pretty much it.
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Daved Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Wow !!!!! cheers

Thanks for the detailed response ILBBQS makes things a whole lot clearer. Yes I have 3 vents on the bottom. The Maverick ET-73 arrived this morning so that should greatly assist with temp control.

A few of questions the unlit charcoal about a chimney's worth would you say ? and the lit charcoal how much roughly ? Once you get to smoking temp on the grill 225 to 235 there abouts how long does a kettle usually maintain this temp. i understand different factors will affect this such as wind etc but Im guessing not nearly as long as a vertical water smoker.

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Daved wrote:Wow !!!!! cheers

Thanks for the detailed response ILBBQS makes things a whole lot clearer. Yes I have 3 vents on the bottom. The Maverick ET-73 arrived this morning so that should greatly assist with temp control.

A few of questions the unlit charcoal about a chimney's worth would you say ? and the lit charcoal how much roughly ? Once you get to smoking temp on the grill 225 to 235 there abouts how long does a kettle usually maintain this temp. i understand different factors will affect this such as wind etc but Im guessing not nearly as long as a vertical water smoker.
I would put as much unlit charcoal as would fit without it falling into the water pan...would load it from waterpan to wall; wall to wall...pile it in to a few inches below the grate, making sure to leave enough room for your wood chunks/chips and the lit charcoal.

I wouldn't even put an entire chimney full of lit on...maybe half a chimney. It's been quite a while since I used my kettle to smoke on, but that was pretty typically how I ran things. I'll check to see if I have any old pictures of the set-up.

*** EDIT ***
Here are a few pictures I found of the set-up...

Final tips for 1st real smoke SmokedChix_052906
Final tips for 1st real smoke SmokedRibs2_060206
Final tips for 1st real smoke SmokedRibs_060206

Hope that helps a little. Smile
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Daved Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 am

Yes, helps a lot. I'll let you know how I get on with pics

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:11 pm

Daved wrote:Yes, helps a lot. I'll let you know how I get on with pics
Looking forward to your report and pics! Smile
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Final tips for 1st real smoke Empty Follow Up Graphic

Post  ILBBQS.com Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Just thought I'd post a graphic that helps to show the set-up as well...

Final tips for 1st real smoke Offset_Kettle_Smoker

Let us know how everything goes!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Final tips for 1st real smoke Empty Thanks for perfect bones - initial reports

Post  Daved Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:33 pm

I was hoping to take some detailed pics and provide temps but a) the camera is not working and b) Ive had to send the Maverick back to the US of A as that did'nt work either . So this is just an initial report on smoking on the kettle till I get new gadgets.

Ok thanks to all for helping me out especially Dr Ky and IBBQS, last night I cooked the best ribs ever following the advice of Dr Ky and IBBQS its a real shame my camera is knackered.

Anyway Ive started putting water in the drip pan lately and I find the food is not drying out so fast. I first soaked the baby backs in apple cider and lemon juice for about 6hrs and then put a rub on for about 45min. As advised I placed a water pan to one side of the kettle and then put as much charcoal in as possible and lit about a quarter full of a chimney of charcoal and then placed this and the wood chips on the unlit coals. One vent on the bottom was fully closed the other 2 just over half way. After 1 hour and a half I noticed an immediate difference compared to the last time, they looked juicy and basically seemed to be cooking well.

I then wrapped them in foil for an hour, uncovered and cooked for a further hour and a half, brushed them with barbecue sauce and then placed them over the coals for about a minute and a half each side.

The results were amazing they did'nt burn like the last time, there was a smoke ring and you could see the juicness inside the ribs.

During the 3 and a half hour cook I mopped them with a mixture of butter, whiskey, cider and soy sauce about once an hour and replenished the coals with about 5 or 6 unlit coals every hour or so. Thats it !!!!

For the pulled pork and brisket I think I might try fully closing two vents. Rolling Eyes

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Glad everything worked out for you! You know that we're expecting pictures as soon as your camera is working! Wink
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Alwas great to hear about a success!! Nice job and get us some pictures dam**t lol

Remember anytime you need a lil help just shout and someone here will be able to help keep you in the smoke zone. Very Happy
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Congratulations, a job well done! I'm still experimenting with ribs, up till now I have not been totally successful. (Though today I went to our main market & picked up a load of spares & baby backs to freeze. They look much meatier than previous ones, so I'm hoping for more success next time)

What bbq sauce did you use? The mop sounds fantastic, did it taste as good as it sounds?

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Congrats!

Sounds like the foil does wonders! I can't wait to try my smoker out again!

Jenx
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Daved Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:55 am

Novice wrote:Congratulations, a job well done! I'm still experimenting with ribs, up till now I have not been totally successful. (Though today I went to our main market & picked up a load of spares & baby backs to freeze. They look much meatier than previous ones, so I'm hoping for more success next time)

What bbq sauce did you use? The mop sounds fantastic, did it taste as good as it sounds?

Im definately getting baby backs again, the Barbecue Sauce recipe comes from Steve Raichelens book called "Ribs Ribs Ribs" http://www.amazon.com/Raichlen-Ribs-Outrageous/dp/0761142118

Lemon Barbecue Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of molasses ( I used tate and lyle treacle)
1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons of liquid smoke
2 teaspoons of dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder

Basically simmer until thick. I was very impressed with this barbecue sauce and I brushed it over chicken wings the other day which was delicious.

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Daved Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 am

jenks_24 wrote:Congrats!

Sounds like the foil does wonders! I can't wait to try my smoker out again!

Jenx

Yes the last time I incinerated my ribs I did'nt use foil.

And novice yes the mop was fantastic.

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Daved wrote:Im definately getting baby backs again, the Barbecue Sauce recipe comes from Steve Raichelens book called "Ribs Ribs Ribs" http://www.amazon.com/Raichlen-Ribs-Outrageous/dp/0761142118

Lemon Barbecue Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar

Basically simmer until thick. I was very impressed with this barbecue sauce and I brushed it over chicken wings the other day which was delicious.
In the years I've been 'quen...I have never made my own sauce...usually 'doctored' store sauces. This sauce looks good, and fairly easy to make. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Daved Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 pm

ILBBQS.com wrote:
Daved wrote:Im definately getting baby backs again, the Barbecue Sauce recipe comes from Steve Raichelens book called "Ribs Ribs Ribs" http://www.amazon.com/Raichlen-Ribs-Outrageous/dp/0761142118

Lemon Barbecue Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar

In the years I've been 'quen...I have never made my own sauce...usually 'doctored' store sauces. This sauce looks good, and fairly easy to make. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing!

I dont know if its a good thing or bad thing but I like to go the whole hog and make everything from scratch from the rub, to the mop, to the sauce her indoors thinks Ive lost it Laughing

Let me know what you think about the sauce

Daved
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Daved wrote: I dont know if its a good thing or bad thing but I like to go the whole hog and make everything from scratch from the rub, to the mop, to the sauce her indoors thinks Ive lost it Laughing

Let me know what you think about the sauce
Will do!

I make my own rub...still experimenting with spices to change it up a bit for different meats, but for now I've been real happy with the all purpose blend Mojo Rub.

Thanks again!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content