macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel

+2
Mack
Don Marco
6 posters

Go down

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel Empty Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel

Post  Don Marco Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:46 pm

Howdy folks...

Just fired up the Excel for an overnighter via the minion method.
I´m cooking a 5 pound butt and 3,5 pound brisket, both seasoned with texasbbqrub (Pork regular, brisket "Brisket blend").

Added some hickory and cherry chunks and enjoying
the smell and a beer atm.

I´m using 2 Stackers, even though one would have been enough
I wanna learn how the cooker performs.
The water pan holds almost 2 gallons, so those of you who care could easyly boil their ribs in the smoker.

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_001_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_002_Small_3

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_003_Small_4

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_004_Small_4

Its 12.44 am, the maverick reads 225 F and i´m going to bed.

So long,

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel Empty Re: Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel

Post  Don Marco Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 am

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_006_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_007_Small_4

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel Empty Re: Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel

Post  Mack Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 am

Did you get any sleep? Suspect
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:28 am

Seven hours without disturbance by the maverick.
Propably because it los connection but thats another story... Evil or Very Mad

Since the meat looked good and the Ecel had 225 F i assume it was like that all night.

Cheers,

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  bowhnter Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:29 pm

You mention using water in the pan. I have started running the WSM dry and w/out sand, and still holding my temps where I want them.

I am curious to know how it goes if running with a dry pan, no sand. Guess you'll need another test cook today Cool
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:54 pm

Man this was some serious good eats. The Excel rocks !

I´m too stuffed to write, enjoy the pics. be back later.

Maaaarge, beer me !

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_001_Small_6

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_002_Small_4

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_003_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_005_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_006_Small_3

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_007_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_010_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_011_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_013_Small_5

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_014_Small_3

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_015_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_016_Small_4

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_018_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_019_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_022_Small_1

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_024_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_025_Small_2

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel 57_s_026_Small_2

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Mike, i also used to use sand in my WSM, covered with foil and sometimes some water on top of that.
I´m propably gonna do the same with the excel, controlled with the guru.
For the first long cook i wanted to test it in comparisation with a standart WSM setup though.

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  bowhnter Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:51 pm

Looks like a lot of room on that, and dammit you just made me hungry again...(not that it takes much)

I am asking how it would hold temps with a dry pan just foiled up...no sand or water?
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:55 pm

bowhnter wrote:

I am asking how it would hold temps with a dry pan just foiled up...no sand or water?

I expect it to be about the same as in the WSM since its the same system basicly.

In my experience water smoers are very vulnerable to wind when the pan is empty since then you have almost no thermal mass that
can fight temperature drops and spikes.
Thats why i a bit of sand in the pan, about halfway full.

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:39 am

bowhnter wrote:You mention using water in the pan. I have started running the WSM dry and w/out sand, and still holding my temps where I want them.

I am curious to know how it goes if running with a dry pan, no sand. Guess you'll need another test cook today Cool

I would think you can run the cooker that way but you will be choakin it down a lot and restricting air flow into the smoker to keep the temps down which will cause some nasty smoke. For me, the cooker, without water in the pan want to run hotter than the normal low and slow of 225 - 250 ish.. More like 300 plus... with proper ventilation.

Both the WSM and ProBBQ Frontier need to breath well to work at their best.. There is a correct formula of air/temp/fuel ratio to get the best results from the frontier. This also applies to the other inferior smoker that WSM thingy...
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:47 am

Nice pix but.....

I guess that is not bad BBQ for German.. Razz

First off.. you cut the brisket cross grain as any one knows you cut a flat at a 45 degree angle to the shape of the meat.. Your pulled pork looked good... again.... for a European.. I guess this is not bad... But it does not look like it pulled so easily...

My suggestion/recommendation to you is this...

Pay for a air ticket and I would be more than happy to come over there and teach you a few things... Wink Wink Very Happy

Seriously.. never cut a brisket at a 45 degree to the shape of the flat.. cut at a 90 degree to the grain of the meat. That means you start at a corner and work your way back.
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  bowhnter Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Roxy wrote:
I would think you can run the cooker that way but you will be choakin it down a lot and restricting air flow into the smoker to keep the temps down which will cause some nasty smoke. For me, the cooker, without water in the pan want to run hotter than the normal low and slow of 225 - 250 ish.. More like 300 plus... with proper ventilation.

Both the WSM and ProBBQ Frontier need to breath well to work at their best.. There is a correct formula of air/temp/fuel ratio to get the best results from the frontier. This also applies to the other inferior smoker that WSM thingy...

Not to argue with ya, but I have the bottom vents open MORE when I am runnning with no sand or water.

Now what DM said about the wind affecting....I have only done this the last 3 times I have cooked, and there has been no wind to speak of. So then, that airflow just could be affected like you point out.

I do not think it's any better this way, and really don't benefit with easier cleanup than using sand. I guess it came up in my mind because of some drum building threads I have read...

Sorry DM, back on topic.
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Roxy wrote:again.... for a European...

You say european like its a bad word... hey, remember who found your continent ? Razz

Actually, i cant compare my Que to some of american pitmasters. Been to the states a couple of times
but that was before i became a serious bbqholic.
Next trip will be a total que-journey though. Where´s your location again ? Very Happy

[quote="bowhnter"]
Roxy wrote:

Now what DM said about the wind affecting....I have only done this the last 3 times I have cooked, and there has been no wind to speak of. So then, that airflow just could be affected like you point out.

I do not think it's any better this way, and really don't benefit with easier cleanup than using sand. I guess it came up in my mind because of some drum building threads I have read...

I dont think the wind affects the smoker much in a way its blowing into the vents. It rather cools the smokers surface pretty much
and thusly it consumes way more coals.
An easy wind shield will fix that though.
Regarding sand cleanup, when i have foil on top of the sand the cleanup is basicly the same. Discard the foil, wrap with new foil and youre ready to go.
I like the added mass of the sand.
If i cook at higher temps i use an empty pan too.

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  bowhnter Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Don Marco wrote:I dont think the wind affects the smoker much in a way its blowing into the vents. It rather cools the smokers surface pretty much
DM

Idea Oh, Gotcha! now that I think back, that it did.

Last edited by bowhnter on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:59 pm

[quote="Don Marco"]
Roxy wrote:again.... for a European...

You say european like its a bad word... hey, remember who found your continent ? Razz

Actually, i cant compare my Que to some of american pitmasters. Been to the states a couple of times
but that was before i became a serious bbqholic.
Next trip will be a total que-journey though. Where´s your location again ? Very Happy

bowhnter wrote:
Roxy wrote:

I dont think the wind affects the smoker much in a way its blowing into the vents. It rather cools the smokers surface pretty much
An easy wind shield will fix that though.
Regarding sand cleanup, when i have foil on top of the sand the cleanup is basicly the same. Discard the foil, wrap with new foil and youre ready to go.
I like the added mass of the sand.
If i cook at higher temps i use an empty pan too.

DM

As I recall, ifI am not mistaken, it was the vikings who were here first by a couple hundred years and got to say I am happily married to one blonde, blue eyed viking girl..

I live in Canada, just north of Toronto and we got some fine BBQ comps here and I would love to have you in my camp any day... Maybe I could show ya some brisket pointers as I have been known to cook them on accasion. Razz Very Happy

Ask Ian, he was here last summer for the Canadian Open as my official beer taste tester.. Wink
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel Empty Hate to say it, but...

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Roxy wrote:As I recall, if I am not mistaken, it was the vikings who were here first by a couple hundred years.. Wink

Hate to bring it up, but the Native American Indians were here before the Vikings and the Europeans. Wink

Brisket hint...smoke to perfection then slice across the grain...mmmm...nice and tender! Very Happy

Come on down (or over) to Illinois sometime...13 sanctioned contests this year alone...no telling how many unsanctioned contests! You will be my guest!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Pulled Pork and Brisket overnight on the Excel Empty germans and other europeans

Post  Chicago Jack Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:00 pm

hi there y'all.
correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that it was the German immigrant butchers of the East Texas meat markets who sold slices of smoked meats [including brisket]on pieces of butchers paper from the back of their shops that kick started this whole slow cooked bbq thing off anyway. Some of the best bbq that I seemed to find whilst on that side of the pond was also heavily influenced by Mexicans and Afro- Americans who rarely seem to get a mention on many of the bbq forums. To me this suggests that our passion for smoke and spice is one of the few things around that can bring many cultures together...BBQ for World Peace...
Chicago Jack

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Chicago Jack wrote:hi there y'all.
correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that it was the German immigrant butchers of the East Texas meat markets who sold slices of smoked meats [including brisket]on pieces of butchers paper from the back of their shops that kick started this whole slow cooked bbq thing off anyway. Some of the best bbq that I seemed to find whilst on that side of the pond was also heavily influenced by Mexicans and Afro- Americans who rarely seem to get a mention on many of the bbq forums. To me this suggests that our passion for smoke and spice is one of the few things around that can bring many cultures together...BBQ for World Peace...
Chicago Jack

Your right about how Texas BBQ got going but they were doing BBQ in the east hundreds of years before. There is a book I read a while back about George Washington attending a BBQ that lasted 2 weeks.. Now that be some good times if ya ask me.

In the east, it would have been African Americans who would have been the cooks making BBQ.. In those days, almost all cooking was done by the indentured.
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down