macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pellets or Wood Chunks/Chips

3 posters

Go down

Pellets or Wood Chunks/Chips Empty Pellets or Wood Chunks/Chips

Post  AnvilHead Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 pm

I have not used either yet so am unable to express an opinion either way.......... Does anyone have an opinion on which is best or can recomend any particular brand ?
AnvilHead
AnvilHead
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Pellets or Wood Chunks/Chips Empty Re: Pellets or Wood Chunks/Chips

Post  Mack Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I prefer to use chips or chunks (which are difficult to get here) and the best of which have no bark on them. I am busy negotiating with an American company to bring in a range of gourmet wood products which are the best I've used so far.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 pm

In my frontier and WSM I only use wood chunks for smoke. That is along with charcoal of course.

I use apple, black cherry, sugar maple, pecan and hickory to achieve the desired flavours I am looking for.

In my experience chips burn too fast and people tend to soak them which IMO causes the kind of smoke I do not want coming in contact with my food. The same applies to pellets as they will go up very quickly and cost a fair $ as well.

I add a couple chunks of wood to the cooker and I get smoke for hours where I as I have to keep on adding chips. I have found that a foil pack will last about an hour.

For me, one of the main reasons I love to use the Frontier is I do not have to tend it. Once I get it adjusted to the temp I want to cook at I can pretty much forget about for hours. After a few hours I will check the water pan and add more liquid as needed but short of that the cooker does all the work.

I did some ribs the other day and I did not adjust the cooker or add more wood chunks once it was going. 4 nice hunks to start and I got smoke for over 3 hours from them. The cooker hummed along at 220 - 230 for 5 hours no problem.
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down