macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Virginia!

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Virginia! Empty Hello from Virginia!

Post  Seapup Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Yep, another Yank here on the other side of the big pond. Hello from Virginia! SHa_wave2 Been grilling for a few decades using various sizes of Weber grills from the WSJ to full-sized Weber LP grills with smoker boxes. Most of my smoking has been in an inexpensive charcoal-fired Brinkman. Even with modifications, the Brinkman was a pain to use (finicky heat control and definitely not versatile). Hello from Virginia! Undecided Hence, I've been leaning more and more towards grilling and unfortunately, going out for real Q. I thought about purchasing a 22" WSM, but it just didn't have the versatility and ease of use I was looking for. Last winter, a friend of mine told me about ProQ, but I was a little skeptical about yet another bullet smoker from some company I'd never heard of. Last month, my friend personally turned me on to his ProQ Excel 20 and many of his awesome smoked masterpieces. I was sold! Hello from Virginia! Thumbup FedEx showed up at my door yesterday with my very own Excel 20. Hello from Virginia! Pepper2 It was perfectly packed with each piece nestled in custom cut styrofoam. Everything was preassembled and all I had to do was attach the legs (came with the new style braced legs). Nothing appeared dented and everything appeared to fit well. I fired up a chimney full of coal and loaded it in the smoker without the water pan and with all vents open. Left it outside to break in and took a peek an hour later... no leaks, the temp read 350F and coals were only a 1/4 spent. I closed the bottom vents down to 1/4 open and waited for the smoker to stabilize to 225F, threw on a chunk of hickory and a chunk of mesquite and loaded some burgers on the 2nd rack. Smoked them for 20 minutes, removed 2 stackers and dropped the rack down the lowest position and gave the burgers a quick 1 minute char. YUM! Out of curiosity, I put the stacker rings back on, closed the bottom vents down to 1/3 open and 6 hours later the temp read 250F. Awesome temp stability! I'm ready to get back into smoking! Hello from Virginia! A18 Headed out to the store to pick up a pork butt and some birds for tomorrow... and some ABTs to munch on while the big stuff is smoking. This smoker is going to rock! Hello from Virginia! Food

The little munchkin thinking she has a new playtoy. Hello from Virginia! Grin Not! Shocked
Hello from Virginia! Picture016l

If I add the 3rd stacker ring, I could smoke a spatchc0cked neighborhood kid WHOLE! Hello from Virginia! Icon_twisted
Hello from Virginia! Picture026qe

Kudos to ProQ for FINALLY bringing affordable, versatile, quality smokers to the market for Q lovers like me and my family! Hello from Virginia! Bowdown Looking forward to playing catch-up, reading all the posts on this forum while the neighborhood's stomachs growl smelling my ProQ smoke wafting through the air... Twisted Evil Glen

BTW, thank you for the awesome ProQ cap that came with the Excel 20. Nice touch and good on ya! Hello from Virginia! A18
Seapup
Seapup
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Hello from Virginia! Empty Re: Hello from Virginia!

Post  Treegje Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33 am

Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum
yes it is a great smoker Very Happy
Treegje
Treegje
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-11-02

http://geert-staes.be/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 am

Hi and welcome Glen, glad you enjoy the Excel 20... can't wait to see pics of the food.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down