macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20

2 posters

Go down

A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20 Empty A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20

Post  Ton Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Since buying the Excel 20 a week ago, I did a few cooks on it and I am beginning to love it, anyway much more than my (meanwhile sold) WSM. Excel(lent) smoker and grill.
I only have 2 minor gripes and I was wondering if I am the only one.
1) It is very difficult to lift the waterpan from the stacker because it is so big. I hardly can get my hands between the pan and the stacker. Because I don't use water until now (clay saucer instead) and I sometimes want to switch between (indirect) smoking and (direct) grilling, I would like to be able to remove the waterpan when it is still hot and of course with oven mitts, but that is very difficult.
2) Tonight I wanted to use my newly bought Maverick ET-73 with the Excel 20 with one stacker. The Maverick works like a charm, but having only one eyelet for the probe, I had to pass the food probe between stacker and lid or the top vent. It would be nice if there were 2 eyelets per stacker.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20 Empty Re: A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20

Post  Novice Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:57 am

Why don't you just thread both probes through one eyelet, one at a time, or is the hole to small to carry both cables?
This is a mod i did to my Frontier.

https://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/novicebucket/?action=view&current=DSCF0936.jpg

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20 Empty Re: A few imho (minor) gripes with the Excel 20

Post  Ton Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:15 pm

The eyelet is not too small for both cables, but once that one cable runs through it, it is too small to get the other probe through it.
Of course I could drill out the eyelet, but I cannot judge how thick the metal is. Is there enough metal to remove without removing the eyelet itself ? (I hope that you know what I mean).

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down