macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about smoking fish

+2
Dr_KY
Ton
6 posters

Go down

A question about smoking fish Empty A question about smoking fish

Post  Ton Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm

As I wrote a moment ago in my introduction under "Say Hello", I bought the ProQ Excel 20 and would like to use it too for smoking fish like mackerel (that I catch myself every now and then).
Could you give me some advice and/or tips how to do that ? I mean particularly smoking at a rather low temperature, although not cold smoking. From a few articles about smoking fish I gathered that the best temperature would be around 70C, thus a bit lower than smoking meat. What is the best way to achieve and maintain such a temperature ?
Thanks in advance.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

A question about smoking fish Empty Re: A question about smoking fish

Post  Dr_KY Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 pm

I suggest using only a hand full or two of fuel preferably briquet's, coconut if you can get them. Control the temps with all the intakes shut except for one and use a waterpan with sand rather then water. Introduce plenty of smoke early on in the process.
Dr_KY
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm

I use this baby, it works a treat!

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:45 am

They are great but I do not think they will be available until september. Just waiting for a picture from Matt Van Wyck, he has put together what he calls an Aussie cold smoker, looked hilarious but will wait for the pic so you can see for yourself...........
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://www.BBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:13 am

I dread to think what Matt's knocked up Shocked

It's not hickory scented cigarettes is it?!?!?

lol!
All Weather Griller
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

i will describe is as best i can, he has the excel on the floor giving off very low heat and the smoke filters through rice to cool it, then he has 3 lengths of hose pipe coming from the top vent of the excel leading to the bottom vent of his Frontier which is sitting on a table. He has wrapped the frontier in clingfilm to stop any smoke from escaping and smoked a load of scallops on it yesterday for his restaurant....................... Aussie Smoking........... He is now working on some large ice blocks with the hose frozen into the middle to cool the smoke. He is crazy but very inovative, to be honest he has smoked every day night for the last month, we may need to organise a group trip to see what he has put together.
Toby
Toby
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://www.BBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ton Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies and help.
On the link that Adie posted, I saw that the Cold Smoke Generator will be available from September 2009.
Besides that I understand that it is meant for cold smoking. What I want to do is hot smoking but at a somewhat lower temperature than ususal.

B.t.w. Does any of you use a clay saucer (one of those things that you put beneath a flower pot) instead of sand or water in the waterpan ? I used one in my (meanwhile sold) WSM and it worked great. I foiled the saucer, put in the pan and covered it again with aluminium foil.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazfoz Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Ah yes, fish.

What I do is buy my meat - whatever and cook it, whilst cooking throw my fish into the brine for a few hours and when meat is done and the fire is low around 90f throw a handful of soaked apple chips on the dying fire, close the bottom vents, always leave the top vent wide open (in my opinion) and put the fish on any rack. Go to bed, wake up in the morning, make cup of tea, place 2 pieces of bread in the toaster, open the back door, approach smoker, remove fish and either eat cold or place in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes. Retrieve newspaper from the letterbox and enjoy the perfect breakfast.

Gary.

Gazfoz
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

A question about smoking fish Empty Smoking the mackerels

Post  The Smoker Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:34 pm

I usually (in a brick-oven) heat the mackerels with alder for maybe about 15-20 minutes. And afterwards I take some bigger lumps of alder - let them set fire - and then shut down for the air. Then the alder-wood generates plenty of lovely smoke. It must go on for 45 minutes or so. I don't know if its possible in a smoker like the Excel 20 - but I'm too very interested in experiences from this kind of hot-smoking fish Surprised
A danish smoker.

The Smoker
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down