macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Battle Continues

2 posters

Go down

The Battle Continues Empty The Battle Continues

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:29 pm

Illinois BBQ Society Member (Cast & Que BBQ) took the ProQ Excel and the WSM home for the weekend to further test out the dynamic duo.

Here are a couple of pics from his weekend cook...report follows...

The Battle Continues L_9ee0e98f5220266538dcdb0350f26295

The Battle Continues L_0337af718f9c3f48dca3ff2cc1d160ca

The Battle Continues L_8fab0ae795ca08b1d69f684854675ece

The Battle Continues L_caa107d3b8166e69cd55a5723b83f663

The Battle Continues L_4e5024609d2ac28f617d30d54b39f769

The Battle Continues L_341632c1ef0433adeb6cc8ef36383b28

The Battle Continues L_d73461e81f3c568ea9913cfc9698700a

The Battle Continues L_b7d4edad260a055c89d37b686cf7240b

Here is the final report from Chuck of Cast & Que BBQ...

"Recently at the HolySmoke Backyard BBQ contest the ILBBQS had a battle of the bullet smokers. The Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) competed against the ProQ Excel 20 in the battle. The cookers were compared side by side and each cooker was used to cook chicken wings and fatties.

I had the privilege of cooking on both these cookers. I am not experienced with this type of smoker; the closest I have used to either of these is a modified Brinkmann Bullet Smoker (ECB). I cooked 4 pork butts on each cooker. Both cookers were loaded with Royal Oak lump charcoal some cherry chunks were used for smoke wood. I lit each cooker using 1/3 of a chimney of briquettes using the Minion Method. I started out with hot tap water in both water pans. Both cookers came up to 200 ̊ quickly. I put the meat in the cookers and after some thermometer issues I realized the WSM was at 275 ̊, so I closed the vent that was in the wind and closed one of the other vents down halfway. The ProQ had a hard time getting above 200 ̊ after loading the meat, so I stirred the coals and tossed in a few more handfuls of lump. After making the adjustments to the WSM it settled in at 225 ̊. After stirring the coals and adding charcoal the ProQ came up to 230 ̊with all vents open all the way. Both cookers were stable. The WSM temperature hardly varied thru out the day. Several hours into the cook I did have to close a second vent on the WSM leaving one fully open. At approximately 5 hours into the cook the ProQ’s water pan was nearly empty. I added water to both cookers at this time. The WSM temp remained constant thru the cook while the ProQ varied from 200 ̊ to 250 ̊. I had to add fuel to the ProQ twice during the cook. I added fuel to the WSM once. I expected the larger ProQ to use more fuel, but it did not seem have any more capacity for fuel than the WSM.

Once the butts hit between 160 ̊ and 170 ̊ internally I wrapped them in foil, this is the same method I use when cooking in my offset, stick burner. It was shortly after this I decided I need to increase the heat to get some of the butts done to work with my schedule. At this point the ProQ was still at 250 ̊ with all vents open. I opened a vent on the WSM to halfway; I now had one vent fully open and one vent half way open. The WSM climbed to and held 300 ̊ which was in the range I was looking for. I could not get the ProQ to above 250 ̊.

Both cookers worked well. It was easier to control the temperature with the WSM. The ProQ cooker is large for a bullet smoker, with the original legs the unit feel slightly unstable. ProQ has reportedly addressed this issue and is sending out replacement legs. Some of the sections on the ProQ didn’t fit together well. It was too difficult to get the body sections apart to place or remove meat from the bottom rack without disturbing the cooker. The sections were hard to separate even after the cooker had cooled off. I assembled the sections in a different order and the fit was improved. The access doors in the ProQ worked to added water and charcoal, but they are kind of small and couldn’t be opened without gloves. The WSM still appeared to be a better product. The WSM sections fit together well. The access door on the WSM could be removed without the use of gloves which was nice.

Overall both these cookers are nice and I enjoyed cooking on them. They both turned out good BBQ and were easy to operate."
For additional pictures, or to contact Chuck, check out his website at http://www.CastAndQue.com .
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

The Battle Continues Empty Re: The Battle Continues

Post  Dr_KY Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 pm

Excellent!!!!!

Keep up the great work. cheers