macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting up my frontier for the first time!

2 posters

Go down

Setting up my frontier for the first time! Empty Setting up my frontier for the first time!

Post  blunder1983 Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 pm

So cold smoking wasn't enough for me and I've gone and bought the frontier and loads of cool gizmos to go with it.

I made the BBQ last night which was really easy to do, but I have a quick question about the placement of the water pan. From my experimenting the charcoal tray sits just around the lower vents in the bottom bit of the BBQ, does the water pan just get placed directly onto the hot coals? Or should you hook it just below the first rack? Also I have a metal box for my wood chips would you just stick it in with the coals and let it smoulder or is there a better way to do it?

Finally I'm aware I need to calibrate the thermometer on the top but I don't see how I can submerge the metal bit in boiling water and adjust it...

Stupid questions I know but I'm only starting!

blunder1983
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-22

Back to top Go down

Setting up my frontier for the first time! Empty Re: Setting up my frontier for the first time!

Post  TobyAnscombe Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Dude, welcome!

In reverse order..

The thermometer is held in by a nut, unscrew it and you should be able to test it in boiling water.

You can use a metal box for chips, or a tin-foil bag.. or keep an eye out for wood chunks, way easier!

Water pan (and dont forget to add the tin-foil so that its easier to clean!) sits below the first rack. The photo below should show you the approx height of the firebox..
Setting up my frontier for the first time! 5624931475_a45404a0d7_z

Get yourself sorted and have a bash over the weekend and let us know how you get on.. One of my previous threads may be useful for you: https://proq.forumotion.com/t983-so-you-have-just-got-your-smoker-whats-next as a here's how to do some ribs...

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down