macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Smokey taste

4 posters

Go down

Good Smokey taste Empty Good Smokey taste

Post  Smokin Mark Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for tips on how to get a good smokey taste to my food as I'm new to Charcoal BBQ'ing having recently bought a Pro-q Frontier.

For example, I water smoked a whole chicken using hickory woodchips. The Chicken was cooked well, moist but did not taste very smokey.
I then decided to cook a joint of beef but this time remove the bowl. The logic behind this, being that the smoke would'nt get 'diluted' with the steam from the bowl.
The result was beef with a very smokey taste but a little dry. I probably over cooked it (4hr). Crying or Very sad

I suppose what I want to know is this.

Does water smoking affect the smokey taste for the same amount of wood chips when compared with normal smoking?

Smokin Mark

Smokin Mark
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Good Smokey taste Empty Re: Good Smokey taste

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I don't eat much chicken. But it could be that it is not getting a good smokey taste because of the skin. I don't have any problems with beef or pork. The conventional wisdom is that meats will only absorb the smoke flavor for about the first hour. So try keeping smoke on the meat for at least that long.

It shoudln't make any difference (for the smoke taste) whether the water pan is in or out. But I would keep it in.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 pm

You'll find that with poultry the smokey taste develops more when it cools. For example I did a pre-Christmas turkey which was mildly smokey when we ate it hot but was incredible the day after.

I use the water pan most of the time and I get plenty of smoke flavour. In fact I've been known to oversmoke. If you're using chips are you putting them in a pot or wrapping them in a perforated foil parcel. If you're just throwing them on they might be burning up a little too quickly.
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey Steve and Mike, good to see you back on the boards and trust you had a good Christmas and a great New Year.

Mark, the water in the pan is there solely to control the temperature, the steam does not dilute the smokey flavour.
You'll probably need to add smoke for a longer period of time (at the begining of the cook, for at least an hour, as Mike suggested). Go easy though, as it's easy to oversmoke food.

Another way to stop the wood from burning, rather than smouldering is to close the bottom vent, that is just below the door that you add the wood chips through.

Your right, the beef was probably over cooked, try it with the water pan in next time and measure the internal temp of the beef, to tell when it's done, using a probe thermometer.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down