macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20

+3
Qjuju
Treegje
Mike_P_in_Tucson
7 posters

Go down

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Empty Great Pork Butt on Excel 20

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm

We had visitors from out of town (Chicago) this week, and they requested some of my pulled pork. They had visited last March, had some, and raved about it.

Got an 8 pound pork butt on sale for $1.45 per pound. I had wanted something a bit smaller so I wouldn't have to get up too early to start it (figuring 1 1/2 hours per pound), but they didn't have any smaller.

So, the evening before, I rubbed it (my own recipe rub), wrapped it and put it in the fridge.

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 DSCN1482

In the morning, I woke before 5:00AM, went out and started 1/2 chimney of Kingsford Blue. Filled the charcoal basket all the way. By 5:30, the charcoal was lit and I scattered it over the unlit charcoal. At 5:50AM, the temperature was up to 200, so I half filled the water pan with hot water , put several mesquite pieces on the coals, put the meat on, and waited for sunrise (yawn).

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Picture002-1

The Excel 20 temerature rose nicely, and I shut the bottom vents halfway when it got to 240. It held very well between 230 and 250, and several times I added mesquite and oak, alternating. Six hours in, and everything looked good (grill temp on left, meat temp on right).

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Picture003

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Picture004

Since the meat was in the stall stage, I took this opportunity to spray it (and again every hour) with a mixture of half apple juice and half beer. I know it was not yet noon, but I couldn't let the rest of that beer go to waste.

After 6 1/2 hours the temperature started dropping. When it got down to about 210, I poured more charcoal (unlit) over the remaining coals and opened the bottom vents. The temperature rose steadily, and I closed the bottom vents completely when it got to 240. It held steady and after about 10 hours, the meat temperature began to rise.

At 4:00PM, I added a stacker and put sweet corn ( in the husk, soaked in water for 2 hours) on the top stacker. But I forgot to take a picture of the corn, so maybe it didn't really happen.

At 5:30PM, the meat hit 190, so I wrapped it in foild, put it back on and waited for the table to be set (we had sides of potato salad, cole slaw, and macaroni salad, as well as the corn).

At 6:15 PM all was ready, so I brought the meat in.

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Picture005

And pulled it and ate it.

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Picture006

I absolutely love my Excel 20, which I got from an Arizona BBQ member last May -- under $100, included an extra stacker, the grill basket, a rib rack and a chicken rack.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Great Pork Butt on Excel 20 Empty Re: Great Pork Butt on Excel 20

Post  Treegje Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:49 pm

looks fantastic
I have never ever tried or eaten that
here in belgium that is not obvious
I would love to taste that Very Happy
Treegje
Treegje
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-11-02

http://geert-staes.be/

Back to top Go down

Post  Qjuju Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Nice job Mike... PP is fantastic Q to be sure. That one looks mighty tasty!
Qjuju
Qjuju
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankee Smoker Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 am

Mike_P_in_Tucson wrote:
I absolutely love my Excel 20, which I got from an Arizona BBQ member last May -- under $100, included an extra stacker, the grill basket, a rib rack and a chicken rack.

Great looking pork, Mike! I hope to be doing the same in my new Excel 20 that is due to arrive in less than 24 hours. I can't wait! What a Face

But I am curious about your quote above: Is that a typo? You paid less than $100 for the triple stack Excel 20?!? I think I know the guy you bought from. Crash, right? Nice guy. I ended up getting mine from another guy from Az., (Don) but Crash had a little better deal. He wanted $150 with approximately $75 for shipping. That's a killer deal and I ended up paying $240 shipped to my house from the Ebay guy. I would've bought from Crash but the Ebay guy had spent quite a bit of time answering my questions and he even made a special auction to give me what I wanted. I didn't want to stiff him after all that. But you got yours for UNDER $100?! That's got to be the deal for the century if that's correct. Good job!

Anyway, please keep posting those pics and giving the excellent step-by-step tutorials. I'm a previous electric smoker user with zero charcoal smoker experience so I'll need all the help I can get.

Now I'm going to go down to the sidewalk and wait for the FedX guy to show up tomorrow. I'll need a pillow so I think I'll bring along a sack of charcoal. Sleep

Bruce

Yankee Smoker
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  skou Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:39 am

Crash is a great guy. I'll be getting one from him, later this month. $150, and I'll get someone to pick it up for me, so shipping will be a couple of beers.

My brother has the triple stack Excel, and I think his was more. But he got a hat and the chimney with his. All I want is the hat, I can make a chimney out of a juice can.

Mike, that is some sweet looking pulled pork! Try apple juice and apple cider vinegar if you want a different taste.

steve

skou
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm not sure if it was Crash or not. I bought it from a guy named Mark. I think I got in on the ground floor, when he had a huge stack of them in his garage. It was a special price for AZBBQA members.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  skou Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 am

Mike, I got my Excel, but it wasn't from Crash. (Well, not directly.) Crash sold one to someone else who was into his homemade UDS type rigs. THis guy delivered mine for $100, with almost all the stuff you got. (I didn't get the hat, or the chicken rack, or the chimney. ) Found a chimney at Wally-World for $10, so I'm set. I can use a beer can for the chicken holder, and a Foster's can for turkey. But,I still want a hat!

I've used this a few times, but the test will be this (Thanksgiving day) Thursday. I'm smoking 5 turkeys for me and 4 friends. 4, 12 (ish) pounders, and a 20 (ish) pounder.

That's gonna be a fun one!

I'm still impresed bythis smoker!

steve

skou
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Smoking 5 turkeys!!! That will be a real test. What kind of smoking wood are you using? And what charcoal do you use? I hope you post some pictures of that.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  skou Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm going to use Kingsford blue, and some Jack Daniel's barrel chips, which are white oak, that has been marinated in whiskey. It's going to be 2 12 pounders on each level, and the big one by itself on the last level. Hope they all fit.

steve

skou
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Better do a dry run to make sure they fit. I know the E-20 is huge, but that's almost 70 pounds of meat! Make sure you take some pictures.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  skou Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I plan on it!

Hey Mike, why do us Az boys have to communicate through a Forum based in the UK? Very Happy I'm not complaining, but it is kinda funny.

steve

skou
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Well, I look at the AZ Barbecue forum daily. I just don't post there much at all. Here, I'm hoping to meet some folks in the UK so I will have some other BBQ folks to meet up with when I get over there (my Mom is British).

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:40 pm

We did 2 18 pounders on an Excel this time last year, tight fit but it worked a treat.
Take loads of pics Steve and share with us please.

Mike, when are you planning to come over to the UK?
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm not to sure right now. Had planned on 2 weeks in Argentina next Spring, but doesn't look like we will make it. We may be back on the (US) east coast next July, so if the prices are right on flights, maybe around then. If there are any regularly scheduled BBQ comps over there, let me know. That would always be a good excuse to visit my "cousins" over there.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  steveheyes Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Mike we don't have many comps over here but there is one in May and one in July. You'd be very welcome to come over and I'm sure the organiser would be happy for you to get involved as a competitor or guest judge. PM me if you want to find out more..

Cheers

Steve
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content