macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pork Belly

3 posters

Go down

Pork Belly Empty Pork Belly

Post  Qjuju Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm guessing many of you may already know how good this is... but I had to share. The recipe was credited to a pub in London and I must say they got it right on this sandwich.

We got a whole pork belly with the skin on. Uncured, unsmoked, and unaltered in any way-- save removed from the pig. Since that is a lot of bacon and there were only 4 of us I cut it half.
Pork Belly DSC01432

It was marinated over night with ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, Serrano chiles, coarse salt and black pepper.
Pork Belly DSC01434

Then some water and butter, as if this thing needs butter Wink, was added to the marinade. The belly was placed skin side up in a foil pan, the marinade was poured over top, and the package was sealed tightly with aluminum foil. It got braised for 5 1/2 hours at 275. If you try this be very careful at this point as it will be soft and jiggly on a level I have never seen before. Well... there was that one college... uh... never mind. Smile
Pork Belly DSC01435

Rested a bit, and put on a hot grill to crisp the skin. Once it was crispy it got a bourbon glaze and then rested in some olive, chives, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Sliced thin, well as thin as you can, against the grain.
Pork Belly DSC01436

I had put together, in the mean time, some home made applesauce from the grill and the wife had prepared a field green salad with a tart vinaigrette as well as a loaded tater salad. I don't have pics of all this, but trust me its important. Oh yeah... and we got some Coleman's mustard and ciabatta rolls.

So there is the sandwich. A fresh ciabatta roll, spread one side with some Coleman's mustard, spread the other side with a little homemade applesauce, pork belly on the bottom slice, and a pile of the tart greens piled on top. Close it up and be prepared for foodie heaven. Crispy, salty, sweet, spicy, tart, and unctuous. No other way to put it... It was slap and tickle for your mouth. Smile

It was pretty delicious sliced and grilled with breakfast this morning too...
Pork Belly DSC01439
Qjuju
Qjuju
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Pork Belly Empty pork belly

Post  Chicago Jack Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:24 pm

I got both pork belly and a day off work tomorrow....i think ill try this

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Pork Belly Empty Re: Pork Belly

Post  steveheyes Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:56 am

That looks fantastic, I normally do pork belly in a sweet teryaki and sesame marinade, smoke it with a little alder just for an hour then finish it high but direct with a teryaki, whiskey, hoisin and peanut butter glaze.

I'm definately going to give this method a try though!
steveheyes
steveheyes
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Pork Belly Empty Re: Pork Belly

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down