macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

2 posters

Go down

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Empty Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Don Marco Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Howdy folks...

Havent been around here for a while ( Embarassed ) but i thought i might report back for duty with my review of
the new Cold Smoke generator :

Ian came up with a very smart cold smoke generator that can be used with regular smoking/saw dust.

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Cold-Smoke-Generator_lg

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Its a very well made unit of ~6 x 6 inches.
You put the sawdust in the unit, scrape it evenly across it and then light it with a small candle. After 30-60 seconds you can remove the candle and then the dust will smolder for up to ten hours, according to pro-Q.

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_002_Small_14

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_003_Small_13

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_004_Small_9

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_005_Small_13

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_007_Small_10

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_012_Small_10

I used the Oak wood that came with the unit for smoking some cheese. After lighting it i put the CSG into my medium egg. Put a bowl of ice on top of the grate cause its a hot august day over here and i want to keep the temperature down. The CSG produces very very little heat, so its not neccessary to use ice in the colder month.
I smoked some irish cheddar for now, but i cant wait to try and smoke ham and sausages in the autumn.

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_014_Small_11

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_015_Small_8

After two hours i took the cheese off the egg and couldnt resist to try it, wich ended up in eating 1/4 of that chunk... Wow thats good stuffPro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Smi5
The egg was filled with smoke and the CSG burned along good without the fire jumping over to another row or stopping at all.
I´m sure theres at least another 8 hours of smoke with the remaining dust.

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_018_Small_9

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_019_Small_11

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_020_Small_6

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_021_Small_9

This is a nice little and inexpensive toy that make cold smoking very easy.
Cant wait to try out more. Who would have thought i´d ever wish autumn would come sooner. Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Eusa_doh

I´ll let you know about the total burn time tomorrow.

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Empty Re: Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Don Marco Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:44 am

The CSG smoked all night long and ran out of fuel after producing steady clean and cold smoke for 10 hours. Wow ! Ham, Bacon and Sausage, here i come !

I´m sure Pro-Q will come up with a stacker for 20 hours smoke soon Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Icon_mrgreen

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_022_Small_5

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator 57_pp_023_Small_12

DM
Don Marco
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Empty Smoke time...

Post  PjL Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I can agree with the 10 hours for Oak smoking.

I have just used my first batch of Hickory and this lasts a lot longer than Oak, about 3 times as long.

I lightly pack the dust down and am finding I get between 20 and 30 hours. I am assuming Hickory burns much slower or has more "energy" in it to allow it to do so. Has anyone else noticed this?

** UPDATE ** Sorry, the reason I was getting 20+ hours was because the sides of my CSG were clogged with tar (forgot what a new clean one looked like!) providing less air, just coincidence that I had just switched to Hickory. I wondered why it was more difficult to light! Took my trusty plumbing blowtorch to it and burned it all off. I'm back to a much faster burn now. Interesting though, I was still generating enough smoke.

Last edited by PjL on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update, as original conclusion was incorrect.)

PjL
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-04-20

Back to top Go down

Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator Empty Re: Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down