macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vent Nut

2 posters

Go down

Vent Nut Empty Vent Nut

Post  Uncle Jack Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:04 am

Don't know about the rest of you but the pop rivet in the center of my vents always seemed too tight and restricted movement of the vent, especially during a cook when it got hot Mad .

I went to the hardware store and purchased a 1/2 inch long, 1/4 inch diameter by 20 thread truss head screw; a 1/4 X 20 thread stainless steel acorn nut, and a thick 1/4 inch washer.

Then I drilled out the pop rivet and made sure that the hole through both the vent and the cooker was just 1/4 inch. Insert the truss head screw from the inside, followed by the vent, washer and then the nut. At first the nut was too tight when I tightened it down so I inserted a small piece of wood inside of the cap of the acron nut. This allowed me to tighten the screw enough to not fall off, and still keep enough tension on the vent to turn easily.

For a matter of less than a buck per vent my problem was solved, and it looks nice to boot!

Hope this is helpful, U.J.

Vent Nut Acornnut

Last edited by on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Uncle Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Vent Nut Empty Re: Vent Nut

Post  bowhnter Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm

The pic is missing, but that looks like a good idea Jack.
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down