macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What size smoker for CSG

3 posters

Go down

What size smoker for CSG  Empty What size smoker for CSG

Post  RichE Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi all,

After some not too subtle hints, I got the CSG as a xmas gift Very Happy

Whilst I have a smallish kettle style bbq I can use it in I have been wondering what it the largest practical size in which it will work efficiently? My smoking plans include hams and sausages/salamis so I am thinking about the ability to hang items up as well as racks. Some of the ideas I have had are:

• Convert an oil drum
  • Build or convert one of those sentry post style garden storage sheds.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Rich

RichE
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

What size smoker for CSG  Empty Re: What size smoker for CSG

Post  Mack Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi Rich, welcome to the forum.

If you are looking to make a large smoker, you may need to use 2 x CSG's. The CSG will smoke efficiently in a Frontier or Excel 20 size smoker, should you wish to hot smoke as well as cold smoke foods.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RichE Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply Mack. I may move on to hot smoking in the future but have more interest in cold at the moment. On the basis of your comments on the frontier and excel I think I will look to construct something of a similar volume.

Are there any materials I should avoid using?

RichE
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 am

Since you're cold smoking, you don't really need to worry too much about construction materials. I would use something that is easy to wipe down, as it will get quite manky after a while.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

What size smoker for CSG  Empty Sizing up,..

Post  PjL Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 pm

I have the CSG also. I built a cabinet out of timber, approx 160cm high, 60cm deep and 50cm wide. I used Talia cake cooling racks as my starter for the design as they are coated with Teflon, so clean easy and do not react to salt cure. I also have 2 vents, one at the back near the top and one at the bottom about 5cm in diameter with double steel screens to prevent insect invasion. I also lined the walls with a mylar based bubble wrap from a well known DIY store. This was spray glued to the timber and allows for an easy wipe down if needed.

This seems to work well with regular puffs of smoke coming out and the cabinet is never choked with smoke.

I then added a PC case fan over the bottom vent to assist drying, ensure air flow and keep the temps down in summer. I also added a thermo tube to keep temps up in winter, all controlled by a cheap thermo switch from Maplin.

The cabinet is quite compact, but big enough for 5 well spaced racks (10 cake cooling racks) or about 130cms of hanging space as the racks are interchangeable with timber dowels.

PjL
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down