macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20

3 posters

Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20

Post  Smokestack Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi. I am planning to use my smoker (birthday present) for the first time tomorrow and want to cook ribs and one whole chicken (whiskey marmalade recipe). Obviously they have different cooking times etc.so any tips would be good. PS also looking to roast some potatoes. Question
Smokestack
Smokestack
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Re: Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20

Post  TobyAnscombe Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Whack a half full load of charcoal through first before any food to get rid of any packing grease or polystyrene.. that always makes food taste dodgy ;-)

You don't say what sort of ribs - baby back ribs's take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and spare ribs can take 5-6 hours.

I never do chickens whole - I split them in half (cut either side of backbone and split the breast). This way takes about 11/2 to 2 hours.

Have you calibrated the temp gauge or do you have a proper one? You need to avoid peeking too much at the food - its a very zen like process...

One last thing - if its windy then watch out for the wind stealing all the heat; try to find a sheltered corner (or do what I do and stick it in the garage next to the door!)...

Best of all enjoy it and post back with pics as to how you got on!

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Chicken & ribs

Post  Smokestack Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks I have burnt off the paking and will make sure I take some pics - I did read that I need to open the smoker to baste the ribs - willthis extend cooking time with the heat loss?
Smokestack
Smokestack
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Re: Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20

Post  TobyAnscombe Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Depends on what sort of ribs you are doing...

Wet ribs (Memphis style) I would only baste over the last half an hour or so; sugar is not fun to work with when you are just starting out.

Best bet would be to start with a dry rub - that way you can just stick them on and leave them.. I posted a while ago a really simple way to do baby backs (as they are the simplest to do..) http://www.macsbbqforum.com/t983-so-you-have-just-got-your-smoker-whats-next

HTH

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Chicken & ribs

Post  Smokestack Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks will look forward to trying things out tomorrow - ribs are spare ribs so will need the longer time.
Smokestack
Smokestack
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Chicken & ribs - job done!!

Post  Smokestack Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Had great fun trying out the Excel 20 for 1st time although used a whole bag of briquettes (6kg) but got up to temperature easily and stayed within 230/240 degrees range whilst the water bath was in use. Water had gone by the time the chicken was cooked so decided to experiment with roast potatoes as we had seen this on a video. Just dropped in 250 gms of lard and added par boiled potatoes once hot. Our friends thought they were best roasties ever and are considering buying a smoker just for them!

The chicken was excellent and really moist and the ribs very tender and tasty - kept basting ribs with BBQ sauce every hour or so and for final hour did a baste and wrapped them in foil.

I have some pics but just need to work out how to add them to my posts
Smokestack
Smokestack
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 am

Glad it worked out! Those tatties are the best.
I'm looking forward to the pics, tutorial can be found here https://proq.forumotion.com/t106-posting-photo-s
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Empty Chicken and Ribs - first attempt photos

Post  Smokestack Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 am

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Th_P1000530

Roasties first attempt!

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Th_P1000529

Ribs!

Chicken and Ribs - first time using Pro Excel 20 Th_P1000527-Copy

and chicken!

Looking forward to the next time!

Thanks for the help with the photos.
Smokestack
Smokestack
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down