macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperature Problems

2 posters

Go down

Temperature Problems Empty Temperature Problems

Post  csbrown Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 pm

I got a ProQ smoker two years ago. I am not sure of the model (it is the huge one). I also have the Weber. The ProQ does have fantastic build quality but I have not been able to get it to hold a temperature of 220 (f) or above. Never a problem with the Weber. I was thinking that maybe heat is being lost in between the section?

I have tried both lump charcoal and Kingsford. Still no luck. I have a digital thermometer in the middle section so I don't think it is an incorrect reading. Any ideas on what I can do to increase the temperature?

Thanks!

csbrown
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Temperature Problems Empty Re: Temperature Problems

Post  Mack Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Could it be the water pan?
How much water are you putting in?
The water pan is a lot larger than the Weber pan and I suggest running it at 1/2 full. There is also quite a large gap around the edges on the weber, so they do tend to run a bit hotter.
With the water pan, the unit should sit comfortably at 220, but it will be difficult to get above 250.
The other alternative, is to replace the water with sand (make sure it's clean) if you want higher temps.

Hope this helps
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Temperature Problems Empty Thanks!

Post  csbrown Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 pm

It could be that I usually fill the pan all the way with hot water. Plus, I haven't tried it without all three "rings" in it. It is one pretty impressive beast!

Don't you need the water for added moisture or is it just for temperature control?

csbrown
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Sat May 28, 2011 10:05 am

The water is there to control temperature, but it also creates a moist environment which helps with smoke penetration... it doesn't add moisture to the food as some people think... the food is moist due to the low and slow method.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down