macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troublesome spuds.

3 posters

Go down

Troublesome spuds. Empty Troublesome spuds.

Post  jollypenguin Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi guys, hoping for some help.
Became the proud owner of my ProQ last summer and we are still getting to know each other. Have been very successful with a chicken or two, got to find patience with the pork and have only cremated one piece of beef!
But what I'm really struggling with in these cash strapped times is how to bulk out a meal with side dishes. I've tried baked potatoes but after 4 hours they are still too hard, do I need to pre cook them or put them on earlier? I would also like to put on a tray of dauphinoise style potatoes, these can easily take 1 1/2 hours in a hot oven, do you think if I double the cooking time on the smoker that would be sufficient?
Oh and lastly a proper newbie question, I've cooked beer can chicken on a kettle bbq with higher temps but would it still work on lower temps?
Many thanks.

jollypenguin
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Troublesome spuds. Empty Re: Troublesome spuds.

Post  Mack Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi JP,

I would nuke the potatoes 1st and then maybe slice them in half, you may get better smoke penertration this way.
The "dauphinoise" you'll have to let us know, as I don't think many have tried them. By the way, as it seems you like the odd spud, a great use for left over mash are these little beauties https://proq.forumotion.com/t358-potato-bombs-version-2

Beer can chicken requires a hiher heat to get the beer boiling, so don't think it will work on the smoker.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Celt in Siam Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 am

I normally help the baked potatoes along with a quick microwave first and same for dauphinoise. Let us know how you get on.

Celt in Siam
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum