Looking back over the weekend...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking back over the weekend...

Post  TobyAnscombe on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 pm

So, fantastic weather in Essex over the weekend so out with the smoker..

First up - saturday with 1.8Kg of t bone (2 steaks!). Very fussy over my steaks, so built the fire and no water bowl and both stackers to get some heat up.. 10 mins flipping twice and then 5 mins with the lid on - Perfect!

For the fishy tuna steaks with a sesame, chili and seaweed crust, again done straight onto the grill, high temp and flipped...

Sat Night - split and brined a chicken (according to Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott). Sunday late lunch double trout stuffed with red onion, dill and lemon with some couscous. Smeared one half of the chicken in a outrageous hot wet rub and smoked for a couple of hours. Chicken came out great - lovely and moist, slight pink rim to the meat even if I did cock up the woodchips..

What did I learn? I prefer coconut shell to lumpwood, that I should have never lent my weber chimney to my brother in law and that brined chicken, although very moist is not really for me. Happy with regular marinated chicken....

Baby back ribs next weekend - cant wait!

For those who are interested or using the Low and Slow book I found dried chilis from http://www.coolchile.co.uk/

Ancho, Guajillo, Piquín, Pasilla, Chipotle Morita

and Kosher salt from http://www.americansweets.co.uk/

Most excellent! If I was home from work at a decent time then I would be going during the week; regularly used to fire up the grill but this is only my 2nd year smoking..

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking back over the weekend...

Post  Mack on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Sounds like you had an excellent weekend Toby, the weather certainly helps! Gary Wiviott's book is a good one to start with. I'm with you on the brined chicked, tried it once and couldn't tell that there was that much difference to the un-brined bird (some people swear by it), as far as I can tell cooking at temps of around 220-250 degF retains enough moisture in most meats.

Looking forward to hearing how your ribs go, it would be nice to see some pics.
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

View user profile http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TobyAnscombe on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Before...

Cooked..

Too busy stuffing my face to think about the other photos Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

TobyAnscombe
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top