macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bigger CSG

5 posters

Go down

A bigger CSG Empty A bigger CSG

Post  steve white Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi,
Are there any plans to make a bigger CSG at all? Really happy with the one I've got and I get anywhere between 12 - 15 hrs on a burn but it would be nice to have one that ran for 24hrs or more........

steve white
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Back to top Go down

A bigger CSG Empty Re: A bigger CSG

Post  steve white Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I take it that'll be no then???

steve white
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Steve, sorry I must have missed your 1st post... I have a larger prototype being made now, will only have results in March and will keep you posted.

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Merry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Steve, Mack,

Having been out in pouring rain twice today to refill and relight my CSG, I for one would be more than willing to buy a bigger one.

Look forward to more news soon

Keith

Merry
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bigh Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 am

Mack wrote:Hi Steve, sorry I must have missed your 1st post... I have a larger prototype being made now, will only have results in March and will keep you posted.

Ian

Hi guys

Any news on the bigger model as a new smoking addict my wife is getting rather tired of me waking up at the crack of dawn to keep the smoldering going. For some reason she objects to the smell of oak cologne first thing in the morning!

I have discovered how to lengthen the smoke time with very little effort, once it has been burning for 6-8 hours you just refill the burnt part making sure not to smother the smoulder and you then have probably another 6-8 hours and twice the amount of smoke for a short period. you can only really only do this once before you have to dust it all off as the ash build up does cause a problem.

A much bigger unit with may i suggest slightly larger gauze and deeper wider channel (for more smoke and easy cleaning see below) would be ideal. the problem i have is with cleaning the unit after a number of burns, as it does get rather clogged up and restricts the air flow thus putting out the smoulder. Any tips anyone on cleaning ?

Thanks

BIG H

bigh
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  steve white Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm

To clean mine I use a small wire brush after every burn and once in a blue moon I use the wire brush and Acetone, then give it a good thorough with hot soapy water. Comes up a treat.

steve white
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  bigh Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 pm

steve white wrote:To clean mine I use a small wire brush after every burn and once in a blue moon I use the wire brush and Acetone, then give it a good thorough with hot soapy water. Comes up a treat.

Thanks Steve,

I have poped mine in the dishwasher as it was very clogged and then went over it with a wire brush and it cleared most of the clogging.

I will try your method next time and see how i get on.

cheers

bigh
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

A bigger CSG Empty Cleaning a CSG

Post  impeed Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I agree, brushing with a small brush and poking out all the little bits that get stuck really helps...might be a bit extreme ...but used a kitchen blowtorch to excellent success, just played the flame over all the mesh untill it glows cherry red and the charcoaly stuck in bits just vapourised away...might void the warrantee but mines over a year old. Have used the same method with those teapots with a fine mesh strainer insert that gets clogged with tannins eventually. bloomin marvelous!!!!

Another idea but not tried ...could stick it upside down on the drive and blast the living **** (reads dirt) out of it with a pressure washer.

impeed
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  steve white Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 am

Hi all,
I've found a much quicker way of lighting the CSG and thought people might like know. I bought a small windproof lighter from Ebay (for less than £4.00), the sought with a small blue jet for a flame. Just fill the CSG and direct the flame from the lighter straight onto the dust from above.............. it lights in about 5 seconds so no more fiddling about with candles and screws. An added advantage is that you can light the CSG in any place on the spiral so if you want an increased amount of smoke you can light it at both ends. OK you reduce the burn time by half but I still get 5-6hrs of smoking.

Steve W

steve white
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: