macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ambient temperature

2 posters

Go down

Ambient temperature Empty Ambient temperature

Post  bigscott Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi, first post but have been lurking since the Summer when I decided to get a CSG to back up my somewhat larger gas bottle wood stove/smoke generator.
I live in Shetland where the weather can change from hour to hour. however today was a nice calm day and I had a salmon to smoke (in fact it's still in the smoker ). The problem is that the smoker will not stay lit. I have heated the wood dust to remove any moisture but am still having the problem. The air temp here today has barely reached 4C so I wonder if this could be a factor or could it be the maritime climate which is possibly more moist than most places. If I remember correctly you are never more than 3 or 4 miles from the sea up here. Or, could it be a combination of both?
I have gone down the cheese route to get used to the system and had no problems until now
Any comments?
Bigscott
bigscott
bigscott
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Back to top Go down

Ambient temperature Empty Re: Ambient temperature

Post  Mack Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Scott,

Which wood variety are you using... I've recently noticed that if I press the dust down slightly, with my thumb, that the coarser woods burn more consistently and for longer.
I don't think it is the temperature, as I have smoked at -2 before.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Ambient temperature Empty re: Ambient temperature

Post  bigscott Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for your reply "Mack". For info the wood was oak and interestingly the inner spiral eventually stayed in when the outer spiral had to be relit constantly as previously mentioned. Will try the tamping down method next time and see what happens.
Cheers
Bigscott
bigscott
bigscott
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Back to top Go down

Ambient temperature Empty Re: Ambient temperature

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content