macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-)

3 posters

Go down

Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-) Empty Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-)

Post  gandalf Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 am

What a bloody clever idea :-)

Just lit it up, bit of a nightmare in the wind :-s

Put on a couple of heads of garlic, a block of cheap cheddar and a whole load of fresh chilis :-)

Pics to follow when it's all done
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-) Empty Re: Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-)

Post  gandalf Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Ok I'm obviously doing something wrong :-(

The cold smoke generator won't stay lit for more than about a minute. I light it, it starts smoldering and smoking, I put it it the eco smoker, go back and look 5 mins late and there's no smoke and no smoldering....... anyone got any ideas?
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-) Empty Re: Breaking in the cardboard eco-smoker :-)

Post  Mack Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Gandalf, your dust may be a bit moist... place it on a baking tray in the oven for around 30 mins at 100 DegC
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I have just got off the phone to one of our wood suppliers (Ashwood) who now tell me that the German company they source the dust from has changed the grade of the Oak dust (to keep costs down). It would have been nice to have been informed of this change, unfortunately we were not.

I am doing some trials with the "new" grade today, initial tests show that if the wood is lightly pressed down, using your thumb, it should stay alight for the full 10 hours or more (this seems to work with the other coarser woods too and may also work with peoples homemade dust).

I would be more than happy to replace the Oak dust we previously supplied to you, with Oak dust from one of our other suppliers.
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  gandalf Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I did get it smoking in the end and I think it was the wood. I started off using the oak dust supplied with the cold smoke generator, also tried the cherry and no luck with that either. Then tried the apple and woohoo it lit first time and off it went. I'll try drying the others in the oven.

The cheese tasted pretty good at 3 hours but I think I overdid it a bit. Got a bit confused with the timings with all the false starts and ended up leaving it on for 5 hours lol. Hopefully a night resting in the fridge will calm it down a little.

I'm not convinced the smoke penetrated the chillies much, but they did get left feeling slightly oily on the outside (seen someone else mention this). I gets maybe its a little tar or something from the smoke that gets sucked into more pourous items (like cheese) so isn't noticeable. Do you normally smoke them whole or halve then for better smoke penetration?

Off home now to get the sausage stuffer and mincer out and make up 5 pounds of sausages :-)
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Shrike Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:33 am

this is exactly why I come here, and why I bought a 20. The founder and CEO is here answering any and all questions - as trivial as they may be, directly and honestly.

Way to go Mac! Keep it up! you have a customer for life!

Excel 20 with stack.

PJ
Shrike
Shrike
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:50 am

The cheese tasted pretty good at 3 hours but I think I overdid it a bit. Got a bit confused with the timings with all the false starts and ended up leaving it on for 5 hours lol. Hopefully a night resting in the fridge will calm it down a little. Rest it for a few days and it should be fine

I'm not convinced the smoke penetrated the chillies much, but they did get left feeling slightly oily on the outside (seen someone else mention this). I gets maybe its a little tar or something from the smoke that gets sucked into more pourous items (like cheese) so isn't noticeable. Do you normally smoke them whole or halve then for better smoke penetration? I cut mine in half, then let them dry out.

Thanks for the kind words Shrike Smile
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  gandalf Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am

Shrike wrote:this is exactly why I come here, and why I bought a 20. The founder and CEO is here answering any and all questions - as trivial as they may be, directly and honestly.

Way to go Mac! Keep it up! you have a customer for life!

Excel 20 with stack.

PJ

Better than that, when I initially got my frontier and had problems he gave me his mobile number to phone him and helped me out over the phone. Some people could learn a lot about customer service from Ian........

By the way the cheese does taste a lot better now. Gave some to a friend and he loves it. Also I've started the chillies drying (whole) in my dehydrator and they do smell more smokey now :-)
gandalf
gandalf
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down