macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brisket on My Excel 20

3 posters

Go down

Brisket on My Excel 20 Empty Brisket on My Excel 20

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Well, I was looking for a whole (packer cut) brisket, untrimmed. But all I could find were about 13 pounds or larger. So I opted for one fully trimmed, it came to just over 7 pounds. The store had trimmed off more fat than I would have liked, so I knew it would be a job keeping it moist.

Brisket on My Excel 20 Ry%3D400

So, I slathered it with a mustard / Worchestershire sauce mixture then coated with Mikey's all-purpose rub:

It sat overnight in the refrigerator, waiting for the smoker the next morning.

At about 7:00AM, I loaded the Excel 20 charcoal basket and started a half chimney of charcoal (Kingsford Blue). Filled the water pan half full, waited for the coals to light, and spread them on to of the basket. Got the brisket on about 7:45AM and closed the bottom vents half way when the temperature reached 240. I used hickory and oak for this smoke. The temperature then settled in at around 235 for the next 6 hours, at which time I dumped unlit charcoal into the basket and I was good to go till the end of the cook.. Here is the brisket about 2 1/2 hours in.

At that time, I started mopping it about every 30 minutes with a mix of Beef broth, cider vinegar, worchestershire sauce, simmered with onion, garlic, salt, & pepper.

Here it is about 6 1/2 hours in, getting a good bark and internal temperature has started to climb above 170.

When it got to 180, I took it off, cut off and wrapped the flat to let it rest and returned the point to the smoker for burnt ends. Sliced up the flat, which was delicious to me, maybe a bit too much smoke for the ladies. I have a tendency to sometimes oversmoke.

Brisket on My Excel 20 Ry%3D480

We had it with macaroni salad, and green salad, and all was good with the world at that point in time:

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Brisket on My Excel 20 Empty Re: Brisket on My Excel 20

Post  Mack Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm

That's a fine looking bit of Beef Mike!

Pity about so much fat being trimmed off, I would also have preferred more (Fat is my friend).
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_P_in_Tucson Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 pm

In retrospect, I really should have laid strips of bacon across the top to help keep it moist. The bacon also would have been a nice, tasty treat.

Mike_P_in_Tucson
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Treegje Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Looks Great, it has an awesome smoke ring and looks extremely juicy...
Treegje
Treegje
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-11-02

http://geert-staes.be/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down