macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digital Thermometer For Excel 20

5 posters

Go down

Digital Thermometer For Excel 20 Empty Digital Thermometer For Excel 20

Post  Yankee Smoker Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:28 am

I'm wondering what you Excel 20 owners are using for a thermometer in your smoker? (Other than the one in the lid) I have a cheap, (But functional) digital thermometer with a probe on a braided steal lead. But the base of the probe is crimped onto the lead and at that point it's just barely too wide to fit through the eyelets in the sides of the stackers.

I realize that there are several favorite thermometers available and I've seen many online or in person in a store. But it seems that I either see what appears to be the same crimped probe base or the picture doesn't show the base of the probe at all. I don't want to end up ordering another probe that doesn't fit the eyelets. I think a slightly larger eyelet would've probably been a better idea. Or maybe I have one of the very few probes that is too big to fit. I've considered slightly filing down the sides of the crimped area of the probe but I'm afraid that I'll destroy the probe.

Ideally I'm looking for a dual probe digital thermometer with a timer and possibly a remote receiver. The BBQ world's darling seems to be the Maverick 73. But as much as many people swear by it I've read a lot of reviews from people who hate it. Most people agree that the range of the transmitter is crappy at best. Transmit though walls? Only if the walls are made of cardboard. And many, many people have had problems with the probes failing prematurely. I really hate buying something with that many bad reviews going against it. But who knows? Maybe I should just take a chance. Does that probe even fit through the eyelets of the Excel 20?

I don't have to have the dual probes or even the remote receiver. But if it doesn't have those features then it better not be $40 either. The Maverick 73 is about $40+ on Amazon. I do need two probes though. Either combined on one unit or one probe each on two separate units. I'm on a budget so I'd like to keep the single probe, non-transmitter units in the $20 range. Thanks for any advice.

Bruce

Yankee Smoker
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Digital Thermometer For Excel 20 Empty Re: Digital Thermometer For Excel 20

Post  RichardD Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:22 pm

The main flaw with the Maverick 73 is the on-off switch that is accessible on the one part, but hidden in the battery compartment of the other.

As for range, I have my Frontier outside, and the Maverick's display inside, and having seen my walls built brick-by-brick they are (i) not cardboard, and (ii) thick enough to kill a mobile phone signal, but the Maverick has no trouble at all.

I did need to slightly widen the eyelets with a needle fie before I could pass the probe through them.

RichardD
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Lozart Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am

RichardD wrote:The main flaw with the Maverick 73 is the on-off switch that is accessible on the one part, but hidden in the battery compartment of the other.

As for range, I have my Frontier outside, and the Maverick's display inside, and having seen my walls built brick-by-brick they are (i) not cardboard, and (ii) thick enough to kill a mobile phone signal, but the Maverick has no trouble at all.

I did need to slightly widen the eyelets with a needle fie before I could pass the probe through them.

The reason the switch is inside the battery cover on the transmitter is so that it's waterproof!
Lozart
Lozart
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-04-27

http://www.lozart.net

Back to top Go down

Digital Thermometer For Excel 20 Empty maverick

Post  Chicago Jack Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

I bought a maverick and im very disappointed...it doesnt read true ...i buy thermometers direct here in the uk ...single probe with high and low alarms...no remote but more reliable for £16 each

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonesey73 Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Chicago Jack wrote:I bought a maverick and im very disappointed...it doesnt read true ...i buy thermometers direct here in the uk ...single probe with high and low alarms...no remote but more reliable for £16 each

Chicago Jack - can you give me a link to the £16 thermometer? - sounds like it could be a good solution for me.

Jonesey73
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Digital Thermometer For Excel 20 Empty thermometers

Post  Chicago Jack Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Jonesy, try www.thermometersdirect.co.uk

Chicago Jack
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter