macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First big cook

3 posters

Go down

First big cook Empty First big cook

Post  colin.irwin Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:46 pm

I had some friends round yesterday for a barbie. The weather was rubbish but the food was great.

I marinated a rack of spare ribs for 24 hours in cider, wine, herbs & spices.

On Sunday morning I lit the Frontier at 10am with a lot of charcoal in the basket and quite a lot in the fire starter. It got up to temperature pretty quickly, at which point I put the ribs (rubbed in a kind of mix & match rub) on the top level. Each half hour for the first couple of hours I sprayed cider & olive oil on the ribs.

About 2 hours in a large chicken with garlic butter under the skin went on the bottom shelf with a remote temperature sensor in it. The ribs had "butter buds" sprinkled on them and then had 3 half hourly honey coatings.

Somewhere in the middle of that I put a Bacon Explosion with black pudding centre on the top shelf next to the ribs.

About an hour before serving up the ribs were given a good coating of raspberry barbecue sauce.

The chicken was ready first - I removed it and covered in foil. I also removed the water pan at this point to get some stronger heat on the ribs and Bacon Explosion to finish them off.

After about 20 more minutes it was all ready to serve up along with Memphis coleslaw, buttered new potatoes and corn on the cob.

It really was excellent food. And all the better for having a much more relaxed pace to the cooking than I usually have when friends come over to eat.

By the way.. ..I went into the garden about 10pm and the Frontier was knocking out over 250 degrees so I decided to put a half fullwater pan back in with some detergent to make it easier to clean in the morning. I was amazed to find all the water had boiled off - god knows how long it was pumping out the heat.

colin.irwin
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

First big cook Empty Re: First big cook

Post  Mack Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Sounds fantastic, but since there are no images, can we believe that it happened?

Wink
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  colin.irwin Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Mack wrote:Sounds fantastic, but since there are no images, can we believe that it happened?

Wink

:-)

It was gone too quickly to photograph.

It was much better than my previous Quasimodo Chicken attempt - although I may register that as a trademarked brand name.

colin.irwin
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 pm

No pictures didn't happen. Sad

Razz Razz Razz
Dr_KY
Dr_KY