Not so Dry rub

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not so Dry rub

Post  Novice on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Here is a question, so far, for the most part, i have been using the Steve Raichlen range of rubs when doing my BBq. While I am happy with the flavor, they don't really qualify as dry rubs. They are somewhere between damp sand & fudge in consistency, in fact when you try & use it as a rub it sort of clumps together (see below),

Having seen the videos on youtube etc. of various people using rubs you could sieve, it got me thinking....
In fact it's easier if I mix it with some apple juice or something & make a paste from it, do you think this really matters?

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not so Dry rub

Post  Qjuju on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 pm

I haven't used his prepackage rubs, but I have made some of his recipes. I think you may be getting one of two things or both. Either the brown sugar content is high in those rubs, brown sugar being white sugar plus molasses, thus the wet sand feel and the clumping when rubbed. Or... moisture from the outside of your meat is clumping the rub. Some use a mustard slather to help the rub stick and I think that would have a similar effect. You could always just press firmly instead of rubbing, but I would look at the brown sugar content or external moisture first.

Just a couple of thoughts... I could be totally off. Laughing
Qjuju
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-03-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Novice on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, they are purchased, pre packaged rubs, in a tin, not recipes that I am using. At some point I will try making my own rubs that I'm sure will be dry, but the pre made ones I have used have all been moist.

Novice
Burger Flipper
Burger Flipper

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top