I want to show you, I really do!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I want to show you, I really do!

Post  MikeinVA on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I've been smoking on a Weber kettle grill for 18 years (the same one). I have a Weber Genesis that I've had for 8. I use what I buy for a long time and do a lot of research. As posted in the intro's section, I purchased an Excel 20 last Friday after researching a few forums. I'm excited because I've put a fair investment of time and a bit of treasure into getting this right. I'm expecting to enjoy this new smoker for a long, long time.

I started my search thinking about offset smokers, but not really looking to buy anything anytime soon. 1/4" steel sounded great, but then I looked at the price tag (I may look at that pricetag again some day, just not today). Part of that mentality came from my interest in ribs. I didn't think I would be happy cutting up ribs to fit on a water smoker (I've since been "informed" by the pure that a full rack will fit on a WSM). I had the fortune of researching forums at the right time when ProQ's came up, and specifically this new unit (Excel). I really liked the functionality and looked harder for folks that had them and used them. I was SOLD on the Excel back in August on the day I saw photos of 10 racks of ribs on an Excel, 5 on each level. I heard the right things about the Excel and now it's just been a matter of time (convincing the boss of the merits of a real smoker without a chain attached to the legs; final authorization came last Friday).

So here I sit, its 10:20 AM EDT (1400 Zulu). I have the UPS url, and have refreshed it every 60 minutes, waiting for the much anticipated "out for delivery" tag assigned to my tracking number. The Excel 20 is in "Richmond" so I think I can smell it, just can't see it yet. bounce bounce Yea, I know I'm a bit whack, but I'll take BBQ to be a bit "whack" about. With that said, I can share that I'm praying that the UPS driver doesn't know jack about BBQ and smokers.

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I want to show you, I really do!

Post  smokinxray on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 pm

you are gonna love the thing, u really r, 5 racks a level would be an understatement, prob 6 or 7 if u got creative. use a couple weber(dare i say it) rib racks and you could probably fit 10. Ill give ya a hint though, take that water pan and fill it up half way with sand. a charcoal fire under a water pan will make the water disapear quick> fill it up with sand and you have a huge heat sink use a small disposable tray fill that with water youll be much happier
smokinxray
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeinVA on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:09 pm

Houston, The Eagle Has Landed. The Smoker arrived this afternoon. The packaging looks in good shape. I've pulled the contents out and everything looks good so far.

My first reaction: That's one big a$$ water pan. Shocked New legs inside (Thanks Ian); Hat fits right out of the box! Cool

More later

Very Happy cheers cheers Very Happy

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smokinxray on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:15 pm

watch those fingers getting the pan in, the fits quite tight!! put it in the stacker before you put it over the fire, you will cook your fingers otherwise.
smokinxray
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeinVA on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 pm

smokinxray,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read about the sand vs. water. I like your tip about how to do both and will give it a try.

Mike

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeinVA on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I did un-pack and the Excel is now fully assembled. The asembly of the legs is very quick and easy.

There is some cosmetic damage that I found on the stackers upon removing the wrap. Both doors handles appear to have taken a hit during UPS transit, pushing in and springing the doors. The box and inner packaging indicate tell-tale signs of an impact on the corner of the box where the doors were positioned.

With some disappointment I wrote to Ian last night to explain the damage. That mood changed to relief when I received an e-mail back from Ian several minutes later committing that he would ship new doors this morning. I'm blown away by the after-hours responsiveness and the care. Thanks Ian.

It appears that I can bend the doors back into shape in the mean-time and light the candle. It's all good.

With that said, I can share that I'm praying that the UPS driver doesn't know jack about BBQ and smokers
The local UPS driver was very nice and brought the box right into my foyer. Upon walking back to his truck, he yelled over his shoulder "Invite me over when you have it assembled." I said "Do you know what this is?" His reply "It's a smoker!"

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smokinxray on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 pm

i too recieved mine from freds slightly damaged, the tabs were bent that held the grills in one of the stackers, i bent them back. The bottom bowl has 3 very nice scuffs and dents on it, the doors really dont seal right, they are all bent slightly , and one of the stackers was quite out of round. A smokers a smoker so i wasnt too worried, but hearing that they responded so quickly i figured why not see if i can get mine to be perfect, like it should be, how did you get hold of ian?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
smokinxray
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeinVA on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:10 pm

On the ProQ main site, there's a "Contact" tab at the top right. Click on that and you can send info to the company.

Mike

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_KY on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 pm

smokinxray wrote: how did you get hold of ian?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ian will read this as he runs this site and is the founder of the company.
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:33 am

Smokinxray and I have already been in contact and plans are under way.
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

View user profile http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeinVA on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Ian,

The doors arrived yesterday, that's fast. Thanks for responding so quickly. I really do appreciate it.

Mike

MikeinVA
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down