New Toy : Looftlighter

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Toy : Looftlighter

Post  Ton on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:57 pm

In the meantime I have tried the Looftlighter a few times, but for the moment I regret having bought it. I tried to light a full chimney of briquettes with it (having the briquettes in a pyramid in the coal basket), but even after some 10 minutes I only had a few briquettes partially glowing and also partially covered with ash. I don't understand how it should be possible to have your grill ready in 5 or 6 minutes as the package says. For the moment I have reverted to the old method with the starter and lighting cubes, because that goes faster and more convenient.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Ton,

Sorry to here that you're not having much joy with it. I think the 5 -6 mins thing is a little optimistic, the only way to get that kind of result i would think is by using lump in the grate and not a chimney starter. I usually use mine to set the bottom coals going in the chimney starter, once this is done, I leave it to burn through for about 25-30 mins or when there is a grey dusting on the top few coals.

If i need to get a chimney of briquettes going quickly I usually put a couple of bit of lump in the bottom.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ton on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks again Adie for your reply.
Btw, I did not use the chimney starter for the lighting, I only used it for measuring the amount of briquettes and dumped the coals on the grate.
Meanwhile I sent an email to the dutch dealer from whom I bought the Looftlighter. He answered that the Looftlighter was developed for lighting charcoal and not briquettes and that it doesn't work well with briquettes because these need time. He also suggest using charcoal combined with briquettes (the same as your advice).
But on the Looftlighter website they say that the grill can be ready within a few minutes using charcoal or briquettes.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Ton wrote:
But on the Looftlighter website they say that the grill can be ready within a few minutes using charcoal or briquettes.

Well i guess they dont say what size of grill Rolling Eyes

Anyway, lighting briquettes works with the looft, it just takes a bit longer.
You need to be patient, after a while the fire gets so strong as its pushed by the hot air that
the rest of the charcoal starts really fast.

I wouldnt use the looft for lighting a chimney, especially not from underneath. Just pour the charcoal on the grate, light it and let the grills airflow do the rest. If you really wanna light a chimney with the looft, put only a handful of charcoal inside, light those and then fill the chimney with the rest.

By the way, heres how i lit my Big Green Egg this morning with the looft, 2 minutes for a roaring fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Lm6_bCf0

DM
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ton on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks Don Marco.
So I assume it indeed would be best to use charcoal or charcoal combined with briquettes ? At least when I want to be ready within short time ?

And should I keep pointing the looft to the same point all the time or is it better to do it at various points ?

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:02 am

Mixing lump and briquettes is always a good idea, since you get the best of both worlds.

I light one big spot and then let the cooker take it from there. With open vents it usually doesnt take that long.

DM
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Ton on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm

One more question Don Marco (because I am still rather new to barbecueing and grilling).
When mixing charcoal and briquettes, is this best done by mixing it all up or is it better to do in layers, i.e. first a layer of charcoal, then briquettes and so on ? If the latter is the case, should I start with charcoal or with briquettes at the base ?

Btw and OT, I remember having read posts from you in which you refer to a German bbq forum. Which forum is that ? Do you have a link ?

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Marco on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Ton wrote:One more question Don Marco (because I am still rather new to barbecueing and grilling).
When mixing charcoal and briquettes, is this best done by mixing it all up or is it better to do in layers, i.e. first a layer of charcoal, then briquettes and so on ? If the latter is the case, should I start with charcoal or with briquettes at the base ?

Btw and OT, I remember having read posts from you in which you refer to a German bbq forum. Which forum is that ? Do you have a link ?

Ton, just mix the lump and briquettes in a 50/50 ratio and pour em in the grill. This whole BBQ thingy is more art than science, so just go for it and try to find the way that works best for you .

Our german Forum is called mybbq.net, heres the link :

www.mybbq.net/forum

Feel free to register, we dont bite often and we also have a few other people around who dont speak german so english is okay.

Cheers,

DM
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Ton on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks again Don Marco.
Übrigens spreche und lese ich auch ein Bisschen Deutsch.

Ton
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Looftlighter

Post  SACONNEX on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Richard
I`m a BBQ Caterer in Quebec ,Canada and would be interested in being a suppier for the Looftlight in Canada.
www.southafricanconnexion.ca

SACONNEX
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-09-03

View user profile http://www.southafricanconnexion.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down