macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Excel 20 vs. WSM...the Battle Begins!

+8
Mack
Roxy
bowhnter
lilham
jenks_24
Daved
Dr_KY
ILBBQS.com
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Excel 20 vs. WSM...the Battle Begins! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Excel 20 vs. WSM...the Battle Begins!

Post  Mack Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am

Come on Jim... we're dying here!
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

New Excel 20 vs. WSM...the Battle Begins! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Excel 20 vs. WSM...the Battle Begins!

Post  Gooby's BBQ Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Come on jim you gotta let us know Sad

Gooby's BBQ
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:54 pm

sunny Working on videos now...just finished editing...2 videos documenting the process and results...both under 10 minutes...will upload this evening when I get home to a faster internet connection, and post the links tomorrow (or later tonight). What a Face
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:52 pm

ILBBQS.com wrote:sunny Working on videos now...just finished editing...2 videos documenting the process and results...both under 10 minutes...will upload this evening when I get home to a faster internet connection, and post the links tomorrow (or later tonight). What a Face

Wow!

I hope you used something that takes a while to cook on both, to show the longevity of the units. I may have to upgrade after this one. What a contrast: the old and the new. Sometimes old is money in the bank though. My dreams are with the XL: Too many additions. What do you guys think?

Jenx
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 pm

jenks_24 wrote:
ILBBQS.com wrote:sunny Working on videos now...just finished editing...2 videos documenting the process and results...both under 10 minutes...will upload this evening when I get home to a faster internet connection, and post the links tomorrow (or later tonight). What a Face

Wow!

I hope you used something that takes a while to cook on both, to show the longevity of the units.

Jenx
As you'll soon see, we ran this battle in conjunction with a little one day cook-off...so not a lot of time for cooking. We ended up keeping the food extremely simple (chix wings and fatties) so that we could get a better idea of how the two smokers were made and how well they held their temps...they were treated identical and all testing was monitored, and performed, by a big time 'Weber-head'...he put them through the eye of scrutiny.

I think a longer cook is in order, but am guessing that with the way they performed on this one day experiment, the results may end up about the same.

( Twisted Evil How was that for NOT letting the cat out of the bag?? Twisted Evil )

Video links coming soon!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 pm

Your killin us Jim....!!!!!!!!!! You are the master of cruel and unusual punishment.
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Roxy wrote:Your killin us Jim....!!!!!!!!!! You are the master of cruel and unusual punishment.
Twisted Evil (Bwwwaaaaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha!) Twisted Evil

Sorry, I tried upload the videos from work today...spent nearly 4 hours in the upload before aborting the process. Crazy enough, I get a MUCH faster internet connection at home than I do at work...it'll take around 15 - 20 minutes for them to upload and go live once I start the process at home.

Believe it or not, I am looking forward to sharing the info!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:05 am

Okay my barbeque brothers and sisters...here we go!

With the Illinois BBQ Society's Battle for Bullet Smoker Supremacy (sponsored by The Backyard BBQ Store in Wilmette, Illinois) now in the books, here are the video links for the epic battle...

Part One: https://www.youtube.com/v/Y8UFWM31M_U&hl=en&fs=1
Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/v/NbTN3Cu420A&hl=en&fs=1

Since this battle was conducted in conjunction with a one day cook-off, it was primarily used to monitor temperatures and to (more importantly) check out the Pros & Cons of the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and the ProQ Excel 20. A longer test for temperature control may be conducted to monitor larger cuts of meat, but with the results turned in from this battle, I would venture to guess the outcome will be the same.

Enjoy!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:26 am

Jim,
Links are not working, at least for me they are not.
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:56 am

BowtieBill wrote:Jim,
Links are not working, at least for me they are not.
Question Question Hmmm...don't know why...I just clicked them and they worked for me. You can also access them by going to my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/banditbbq .

Hope they work for you soon!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks, Jim. That one worked for me.
Viewing now.
Bill
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:06 am

Great review Jim and Jason.
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to produce a fair and unbiased report!

Ian
Mack
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Mack wrote:Great review Jim and Jason.
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to produce a fair and unbiased report!

Ian
It was a lot of fun and, given that Jason is an absolute DIE HARD WSM man, I think it all turned out well. Jason seemed to really be impressed with the performace of the ProQ...the outside clips ended up growing on him, he liked the size of the water pan, as well as the added features such as the dome therm, eyelets for probes, and the handles. The only real complaints he had were 1. he worried about the durability of the dome's handle; 2. Knobs on doors are metal and cannot be used without gloves, once the smoker is fired up.

Jason seemed very impressed with the overall performance (though I don't think he's gonna sell his WSMs anytime soon), he did say that he'd definately cook on the ProQ...which shows how comfortable he felt with the unit as a whole, and the reliability he must be placing in the unit.

Until the day of the battle, that was the first time Jason had to examine the ProQ. Other than pictures he had seen on the internet, he came into the battle completely blind of the ProQ...I believe it impressed him.

THANKS IAN for opportunity in allowing us to disect, compare, and evaluate the ProQ...It was a fun battle! I'm looking forward to further (and longer) cooks on the ProQ...and will post new results as they happen. cheers
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  BowtieBill Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks, Jim. That was very well done.
You could feel your partner's "love" for the WSM's. It was interesting that some of the things that he did not like about the ProQ were things that made me buy it instead of the WSM (like the clips). I agree with the top handle of the Excel, that is an area for improvement I think.
But from watching your videos I think I might of realized what is causing the problem I am having. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was stated that the units were not assembled until after 15 minutes from pouring the hot coals in the basket? I am putting it together almost immediately after.
Can't wait until the next showndown of the long burns.
Thanks again for doing this.
Bill
BowtieBill
BowtieBill
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:52 pm

BowtieBill wrote:Thanks, Jim. That was very well done.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was stated that the units were not assembled until after 15 minutes from pouring the hot coals in the basket? I am putting it together almost immediately after.
Can't wait until the next showndown of the long burns.
Thanks again for doing this.
Bill
Thanks for the Kudos...it's a lot of fun playing around with this little video camera.

Yes, Jason allowed the coals in the fire ring to get started before assymbling the units. Once they were assymbled, it didnt' take long for them to come up to temp.
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  bowhnter Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Hey Jim, nice review!
bowhnter
bowhnter
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:31 pm

bowhnter wrote:Hey Jim, nice review!
Thanks Mike. It was a fun day!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  bigthirsty Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 pm

stupid work firewall!!!! don't they know bbq is more important than work?

bigthirsty
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:54 pm

bigthirsty wrote:stupid work firewall!!!! don't they know bbq is more important than work?
Well YES! What's wrong with them??? tongue
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:50 pm

It was funny to watch Jason as his opinion of the Excel changed as the video progressed.. The funny thing is, I got all three smokers and they are each great for their own thing but my WSM sure is neglected and only comes out for comps to promo Ian's stacker.. Otherwise it sites in the garage...

I remember the first time I cooked a full load on the WSM and I think it was like 3 am when I needed to stick a probe in the meat that was on the lower grate.. There I was standing.. with a rack in my hands trying to figure out what to do with it while I inserted the probe.. I though, this is freakin stupid, who thought if this great idea.. I almost tipped over the smoker as I balanced the grate on the side of the cooker while I pulled the probe out of my pocket.. that nonsense has never happened with the ProBBQ design.
Roxy
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Roxy wrote:It was funny to watch Jason as his opinion of the Excel changed as the video progressed...
He seemed to warm up to the ProQ quite a lot...don't think he's gonna rush out and get a ProQ tattooed on his other leg just yet, but he did have a lot of good things to say about it.

Well, it looks like the battle is going to continue in Salem, Illinois on September 12th & 13th with an overnight cook. We're looking to test the longevity of the burn time while cooking pork butts and/or briskets. Jason has agreed to assist again...we'll see how this next round turns out.
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Well Jim,

I must say there was a little bias by Jason, but I completely understand. As far as my decision goes, I believe the proQ won. It does have it's issues, but it beats the weber. If it didn't why get the stacker? I loved it when you could tell it grew on Jason how it performed. Not much difference (so far) with temp, but the added features WOWED him.

Weber needs to catch up. Cool

Jenx
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Gooby's BBQ Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Great job on the video Jim cheers

Gooby's BBQ
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ILBBQS.com Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks! It was a lot of fun shooting the video! We'll have round 2 of the Battle on September 12th & 13th when we pull an all nighter in doing pork butts on both cookers. Stay tuned!
ILBBQS.com
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  jenks_24 Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:11 pm

OMG!

Pork butts? In a battle? I can't wait! Those temp probe eyelets will come in handy... Smile

Jenx
jenks_24
jenks_24
King of Q
King of Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next