Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  ILBBQS.com on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Though I haven't received the Excel yet, was just wondering if anyone out there has used (or found the need to use) a BBQ Guru on their Excel 20? I have an older model Guru that I used to use on my old 'FrankenSmoker' (highly modified ECBs), but don't use it in competition...just looking for a second life for the unit. Do you think the Excel could benefit from a Guru marriage?
avatar
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Age : 46
Location : In the Land of Lincoln...Illinois USA
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  Dr_KY on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm

I dont think the XL will need it but my UDS could use one. Twisted Evil
avatar
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Location : England
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  ILBBQS.com on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Dr_KY wrote:I dont think the XL will need it but my UDS could use one. Twisted Evil
Are you trying to use a Jedi Mind Trick on me??? tongue
avatar
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Age : 46
Location : In the Land of Lincoln...Illinois USA
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  Mack on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Not heard of anyone using a Guru on it (but it has only just been released)... maybe you can try it for us Jim?
avatar
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Age : 53
Location : Body in Cornwall, Heart in Africa
Registration date : 2007-11-07

View user profile http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  ILBBQS.com on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Mack wrote:Not heard of anyone using a Guru on it (but it has only just been released)... maybe you can try it for us Jim?
I'm sure at some point I'll hook it up for a whirl. Just didn't know how neccessary it is...how well the Excel is going to burn and hold heat will be a big factor.

When it does get hooked up, I will be sure to let you know!
avatar
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Age : 46
Location : In the Land of Lincoln...Illinois USA
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  Don Marco on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:30 pm

I did 2 burns with the Guru (old Style) already.

It isnt really neccessary with low & slow cooking but i feel the excel is a bit more fuel saving that way.
Maybe even better with an empty water pan, but i didnt try that yet.

When you want consistent higher temperatures with the Excel, the guru is brilliant.
Cooked a couple of beer can chickes at 350 and they were perfect.

I closed the vent holes i didnt need with some aluminum foil.

DM
avatar
Don Marco
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 266
Age : 41
Location : Germany
Registration date : 2007-11-11

View user profile http://www.mybbq.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  ILBBQS.com on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Don Marco wrote:I did 2 burns with the Guru (old Style) already.

It isnt really neccessary with low & slow cooking but i feel the excel is a bit more fuel saving that way.
Maybe even better with an empty water pan, but i didnt try that yet.

When you want consistent higher temperatures with the Excel, the guru is brilliant.
Cooked a couple of beer can chickes at 350 and they were perfect.

I closed the vent holes i didnt need with some aluminum foil.

DM
I'm figuring it'll be pretty easy to maintain temps while cooking low & slow...was thinking of trying out the Guru as a way to see how long of a cook I can get.

How long have you been getting with 10 lbs. of charcoal?
avatar
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Age : 46
Location : In the Land of Lincoln...Illinois USA
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  lilham on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:29 pm

My excel came in yesterday and I also purchase my first guru. The excel worked great. Half two chickens, rubbed them rub and cooked them for 3 hrs. Fired it up, then I shut to much air off, temp dropped to 225, then after I got my head out of my donkey, opened it up alittle and maintain around 275-300. Chicken came out great. I'm going to load itup this weekend, I'll get some pics.

I will try the guru on it in a few weeks.

I have a question for guru owners/users. Can I use the guru just for temperature readings(without the blower) or does the blower have to be hooked up.

lilham
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 7
Location : North MS
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  Dr_KY on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 am

ILBBQS.com wrote:
Dr_KY wrote:I dont think the XL will need it but my UDS could use one. Twisted Evil
Are you trying to use a Jedi Mind Trick on me??? tongue

Yes, yes I am.lol
The XL holds temps like no other and will have you double checking that the temp guage isn't stuck. Set up the ET and get some Sleep at your next comp.
avatar
Dr_KY
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 642
Location : England
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  ILBBQS.com on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Dr_KY wrote:
ILBBQS.com wrote:
Dr_KY wrote:I dont think the XL will need it but my UDS could use one. Twisted Evil
Are you trying to use a Jedi Mind Trick on me??? tongue

Yes, yes I am.lol
The XL holds temps like no other and will have you double checking that the temp guage isn't stuck. Set up the ET and get some Sleep at your next comp.
It ALMOST worked...too bad my kids are huge Star Wars fans...they helped me resist the mind trick. Smile

I'm still waiting on my video camera to get here before even opening the box...it's killin' me to have to look at the boxes and not touch them! They're sitting in my family room...taunting me every night...hopefully they'll lose their battle to stay boxed this evening...the camera SHOULD be there today!
avatar
ILBBQS.com
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 535
Age : 46
Location : In the Land of Lincoln...Illinois USA
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile http://www.ILBBQS.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  smokinxray on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:36 pm

well ive had the excel for a few months, smoked plenty of meat through it. I love it, i really do, but in my heart id like to try the guru, probably just the pit minder with the 10cfm fan. Anyone try it, im interested where to install the fan, and if that fan is overkill or just right. Id probably drill a new hole underneath the fire ring for the inducer.
avatar
smokinxray
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 44
Location : wading river, ny
Registration date : 2008-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Excel 20 & BBQ Guru?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum