Hello

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hello

Post  graham on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Ian
have been cooking on a small weber one touch silver for a couple of seasons and at the end of last season i purchased a weber performer,,,,prior to these webers i wasted time with some BQ heaps of tin and a charbroil gas jobby (more like a big oven) so hopefully now im on the right path.
Had a few winter grill ups but am looking forward to getting in garden and trying a few more recipes this summer,,,,whats your favourite and have you any tips cos im just a novice
cheers Graham
graham
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Graham, the Weber Kettles are great for indirect cooking, I had great results with while chickens on mine. I don't really rate them as a grill, because there is no control on the height of the grill grate, which is fine for steak (just about the only thing I will grill these days), but can be trickier when doing chicken pieces.
Now water smoking, is my kind of cooking... easy, almost foolproof and extremely forgiving.
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-11-07

View user profile http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnvilHead on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:19 pm

[quote="Mack"]I don't really rate them as a grill, because there is no control on the height of the grill grate

I have to take issue with you on this one Mack because with the correct arrangement of the coals you can create different heat zones allowing you to sear the meat over a high heat and then finish cooking it over a lower heat, this type of setup can give superb reults on any type of meat even the most delicate eg fish which is notoriously hard to grill.

This is the art of mastering the coals which without blowing my own trumpet to much I would say that we have just about mastered !! Very Happy
AnvilHead
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Point taken Smile I guess I have just gotten lazy Embarassed
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  All Weather Griller on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:26 pm

I would have to agree with AnvilHead on this point.

The line "Now water smoking, is my kind of cooking... easy, almost foolproof and extremely forgiving" in my opinion doesn't accurately capture my views on the whole outdoor cooking scene. Essentially it is implying anyone can do it, this may be true but not anyone can do it well and whilst I must admit smoking is easier I have to argue that grilling is more difficult which makes doing it properly a "Science".

BBQ'ing is a science I firmly believe that.

Last edited by All Weather Griller on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)
All Weather Griller
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 286

View user profile http://www.ukgrillers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnvilHead on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Smoking and Grilling are totaly different animals and worlds apart in cooking methods........... the ideal place to be is to be competant at both and that is what I am aiming for. Very Happy

The ideal summers afternoon for me would be the standard grilled fayre eg Beer Can Chicken, Steaks, Chicken Kebas, Sausages and Bugers for the kids and then some low and slow Smoked Ribs and Chickens ............... and a few beers as well !!!! Very Happy Bring it on i say Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
AnvilHead
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mack on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 pm

I'll be the 1st to admit that smoking is easier, but I think after 20 years of just grilling, I have the skill, just not the urge.
As an example, I've just cooked a prime rib in 60 mile an hour winds... I wouldn't be out there grilling Smile
Mack
Smokin Hot
Smokin Hot

Back to top Go down

Post  graham on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:16 pm

AnvilHead wrote:Smoking and Grilling are totaly different animals and worlds apart in cooking methods........... the ideal place to be is to be competant at both and that is what I am aiming for. Very Happy

The ideal summers afternoon for me would be the standard grilled fayre eg Beer Can Chicken, Steaks, Chicken Kebas, Sausages and Bugers for the kids and then some low and slow Smoked Ribs and Chickens ............... and a few beers as well !!!! Very Happy Bring it on i say Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
graham
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  graham on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:22 pm

got to admit youve nailed it there anvilhead... jocolor lol!
graham
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ozz on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm sorry, I must have missed that class. I've always thought that smoked pork butt and grilled t-bones WERE dessert... scratch
Think of all the sweet, sticky sauces you can use. lol!
Ozz
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxy on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

If the BBQ is good enough there aint no room for dessert.
Roxy
King of Q
King of Q

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2