some pointers for a newbie?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

some pointers for a newbie?

Post  mevdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm

hey guys,

i finally got round to getting an eco proq cold smoker and generator but after reading many books and posts online i have almost no idea where to start!

i bought a load of chedders and some softer cheeses like mozzarella, aswell as butter, salt, garlic and some of my chillies to smoke first before i start with meats and fish.

the trouble comes from the timing of both the smoking and the resting, with chedder for example it varies from around 1 hour smoking to 6 and resting from a day to over 6 weeks!
i guess its mostly personal taste and while i do like it smokey i would hate to ruin the first batch!

can anyone give me some of their personal experience with timings? As a researcher i will try to perform a full test later (and publish results on here) but my time with the smoker is limited at best at the moment.

Thanks in advance

mevdog
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-12-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: some pointers for a newbie?

Post  TyMack0 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

mevdog wrote:hey guys,

i finally got round to getting an eco proq cold smoker and generator but after reading many books and posts online i have almost no idea where to start!

i bought a load of chedders and some softer cheeses like mozzarella, aswell as butter, salt, garlic and some of my chillies to smoke first before i start with meats and fish.

the trouble comes from the timing of both the smoking and the resting, with chedder for example it varies from around 1 hour smoking to 6 and resting from a day to over 6 weeks!
i guess its mostly personal taste and while i do like it smokey i would hate to ruin the first batch!

can anyone give me some of their personal experience with timings? As a researcher i will try to perform a full test later (and publish results on here) but my time with the smoker is limited at best at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Hey Mevdog,

I'd say start with about 4 hours on the cheddar, rest it for a day and take it from there. If you want more smoke, smoke it longer next time.
Salt, garlic and chillies can be smoked for 12 hours, but also need resting for a day or 2, just to even out the flavours.
I haven't tried mozzarella yet, but as it's softer I expect it'll take smoke really easily, so something like 3-4 hours should be good, I wouldn't go much longer than that.

Let me know how it goes,

Ty

TyMack0
Admin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-09-25

View user profile http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top