macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting up to 400F on the Frontier

2 posters

Go down

Getting up to 400F on the Frontier Empty Getting up to 400F on the Frontier

Post  webbr23 Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 am

Hi all,

I've had my Frontier for a couple of months now and have had very successful low and slow cooks at 225F-250F. I use a HeaterMeter with forced air feed that give extremely precise temperature control. No problem at these low temps - within a degree or two of target for up to 18 hours.

Last night I wanted to try a much hotter cook of a large beef fillet. The method I wanted to use calls for 415F for 30 min s then 325F for the balance of the cook until the meat reaches the required internal temp (130F) in my case for medium rare after a 20 minute rest in foil.

I was absolutely unable to get the Frontier to get above 325 and even that took an age to get to. Is the Frontier able to get to these higher temperatures?

I used an empty, foiled water pan, half basket of HeatBeads and the forced air blower at 100%. Even fully open vents in addition to the blower did not get it up there.

Any advice appreciated!

Ron

webbr23
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-10-03

Back to top Go down

Getting up to 400F on the Frontier Empty Re: Getting up to 400F on the Frontier

Post  TyMack0 Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:13 pm

webbr23 wrote:Hi all,

I've had my Frontier for a couple of months now and have had very successful low and slow cooks at 225F-250F.  I use a HeaterMeter with forced air feed that give extremely precise temperature control.  No problem at these low temps - within a degree or two of target for up to 18 hours.

Last night I wanted to try a much hotter cook of a large beef fillet.  The method I wanted to use calls for 415F for 30 min s then 325F for the balance of the cook until the meat reaches the required internal temp (130F) in my case for medium rare after a 20 minute rest in foil.

I was absolutely unable to get the Frontier to get above 325 and even that took an age to get to.  Is the Frontier able to get to these higher temperatures?

I used an empty, foiled water pan, half basket of HeatBeads and the forced air blower at 100%.  Even fully open vents in addition to the blower did not get it up there.

Any advice appreciated!

Ron

Hey Ron,

To get to the kind of temps you're talking about shouldn't be impossible, try lump-wood charcoal instead of heatbeads, I've heard of them being an issue with temperature... try get some really high quality stuff.

Let me know how it goes!

Ty

TyMack0
Admin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-09-25

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down