macsbbqforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topping up wood chips and water pan?

2 posters

Go down

Topping up wood chips and water pan? Empty Topping up wood chips and water pan?

Post  Adrian_IRL Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Hey guys, Hope everyone is keeping well Very Happy I'm really new to the world of smoking. Bought the frontier two weeks ago and did my first smoke yesterday. Turned out well enough for a first attempt. I think I didn't put enough charcoal in at the beginning so the temperature only reached 190f until I added more later. Smoked a chicken and some ribs. Both came out well, although the ribs seemed a bit dry. Anyways, I have one or two questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

1. I am using the ProQ Stainless steal smoker box. Anyone have any idea how long it takes for the wood in this to burn off? After how many hours it should be replaced.

2. Also, I didn't top up the water pan at all during the smoke and it was dry when I had finished. Does this need to always have water in it?

Can't wait for my next smoke Laughing 

Adrian.

Adrian_IRL
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-21

Back to top Go down

Topping up wood chips and water pan? Empty Hi Adrian

Post  pb.bbq Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Pleased to hear you done your first cook

When I start my smoker up I always fill the charcoal basket up and then add more if needed.
Don't forget to have those vents open at the bass of the smoker also the one on the lid. In fact the one on the lid should never be closed when using the smoker.
I also fill the water pan up with hot water at first and then top up with cold as needed.
A full water pan and a charcoal basket filled up, should do a whole chicken easy depending
on the charcoal you are using.
It is always best to use a restaurant grade.

A chicken should take around about 3 and half hours to cook.
As for the wood chip it depends on how full you have filled the smoker box up with chip, and if it placed right over the hottest part of the charcoal or to the side where it is not so hot. I would place smoker box just inside the bottom door on the charcoal where it is not so hot and then close the vent which is right under the bottom door to stop the air flow to that part of the charcoal basket.

Re how long to smoke for is down to your taste.
After the first hour or so the smoke will slowly stop penetrating the meat.
so get as much smoke into the meat at the beginning depending on your taste

Happy smoking

Paul at Macs
pb.bbq
pb.bbq
Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Starter

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2013-02-14

http://www.macsbbq.com

Back to top Go down

Topping up wood chips and water pan? Empty Re: Topping up wood chips and water pan?

Post  Adrian_IRL Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the tips and advice. Really looking forward to my next smoke. Hoping to attempt a pulled pork recipe and will do some ribs again. I didn't use the 3-2-1 method for the ribs for the fist smoke as I was a bit too eager to get going and didn't do my research Laughing 

Thanks again for all your help,
Adrian.

Adrian_IRL
Sausage Burner
Sausage Burner

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-21

Back to top Go down

Topping up wood chips and water pan? Empty Re: Topping up wood chips and water pan?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down